Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2003 Tribute High Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Default 2003 Tribute High Fuel Consumption

I bought a 2003 Tribute last month and found the petrol consumption to be extremely high. It does 5 km per litre in the city and 6 km per litre in the outstations. This is the first time I am using a vehicle bigger than a car. My PEUGEOT 306 which has 1400cc engine does 9 km per litre in the City and 11 km litre in the Outstations with similar traffic conditions. Is this fuel consumption the norm for a 2003 Tribute?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Default RE: 2003 Tribute High Fuel Consumption

Here in the US I get about 7.8 KM/l (19 mpg) on the highway. I have a 2002 200 hp V6 with 4WD. I never use the 4WD. I have some nice highway tires, no off-roading for me or the wife.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM

I just bought my 2004 Tribute last week, so I have only filled it up once. I drive about 80% highway miles as I live in a rural area, and I got 21 mpg out ofthe first tank.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 AM

Thanks for both replies. The first says an average of 7.8km/ litre and second says an average of 7.4km/ litre on highways. Our "highways" here in Sri Lanka are no where near the highways I've seen abroad as we are still a developing country fighting against terrorism. Sometimes here it takes about 5 to 7 minutes to cover 1 km in the city and the outstations would be at an average speed of 40 kmph or 25 Mph. Themaximum legal speed limit on any road here is 70 kmph or 43 Mph.So I guess I will have to live with my Tribute giving 5km/ litre or 14 Miles per gallon!!!!!! God help me

Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM

Wow, that's cool, I didn't realize you were in Sri Lanka. In my experience, almost all people who post on vehicle forums who use km/h or other metric measurements are from Canada or W. Europe. In regards to mileage, you still should be getting better than 14 mpg. I believe the US EPA rates the Tribute to get 18 city miles per gallon, 23 highway miles per gallon. Cold weather can drop fuel mileage significantly, but I don't think that's an issue in southern Asia. The driving in rural America is quite a bit different than you describe as your typical driving. Just driving to work 25 miles/40km, I am going 65 mph/110km/h pretty much the whole way. I can make it there in less than 30 minutes.

Just out of curiosity, how much is fuel in Sri Lanka? Here in New York State, we are paying $2.70 per gallon (roughly $.65/litre) for regular unleaded.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 AM

Hi there, You are making me feel jelous of the speeds at you'll drive and also the petrol cost. Here in SL petrol is sold currently at Rs 97 (US$ 0.89 per litre or US$ 4 per gallon). It went upto Rs 101 sometime ago and came down. The chances are that prices will go up again as the Rupee continues to depreciate against the dollar and also the world market prices.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 AM

You can take the New York State Thruway from Buffalo to New York City (about 450 miles/700 km) and go 75-80 mph (~130 km/h) the whole way and make the trip in about 7 hours (non-stop). Of course, there are better ways to go, and it will cost you about $15 USD in tolls!

Our gas prices, as it is pretty well known, are the cheapest in the western world. I know Canadians pay more than you pay in SL, and so do the Brits, French and Germans. Last summer, our prices here were pretty consistently over $3 USD/gallon. I know that caught a lot of people's attention here in the US and it made them reconsider what vehicle they were going to purchase. SUV and pick up truck sales have dropped in half in the last three years. More and more people are buying hybrids (I think over one million hybrids were sold in the US last year). There is a US govt incentive ($2000 USD) to buy hybrids. Personally, I think there should be greater incentives to purchase clean, fuel efficient cars. However, that probably won't happen until after our current president leaves office in 2009. By the way, spread the word that he is just as unpopular here as he is aboard! When I watch BBC, I get the impression that the rest of the world thinks we love George Bush, and its not the case!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 AM

Yes, the fuel consumption is extremely high for this kind of car. I can get around 23 mpg on the highway, but in normal driving around town and commuting, it's more like 16mpg. I just put new tires on it, and now the mileage is down to 15. It's a significant drawback in an otherwise great vehicle.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM

longislander1 Thanks for the response. I think yours is only slightly better than mine bcos I am getting 14mpg in driving around town at virtually 5mph in this developing country country with no highways where as you are getting only 15 or a 16 at maximum in the city!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM

I have a 2001 Tribute and this is how I just found the forum, I get bad mileage too. I get about 11 km/L in the city, about 15 km/L on the highway (I'm in Canada).

I am wondering if there is something I can do to fix this somehow? I love my tribute, but if the mileage does not improve, I'm going to have to get rid of it. I cant afford to fill it every 5-6 days (I average about 330 km on a tank of gas), not with fuel prices the way they are, and they're predicted to sky rocket this summer....

Would a new fuel filter help?? If so, where is it located (give me a break, I'm a chick....), I have a K&N air filter in there that I will be cleaning this weekend... surely there HAS to be something that will help?

Quick Reply: 2003 Tribute High Fuel Consumption