2003 Tribute aftermarket headlights - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Default 2003 Tribute aftermarket headlights

Apparently the headlights for 2003 do not have any horizontal headlight aiming mechanism. Vertical yes, horizontal no. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket brand of headlight assembly that has horizontal aiming adjustment built in? Thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure?
I've never seen a headlight that doesn't have both vertical & horizontal adjustment.
In saying that, I've seen plenty with broken adjusters.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Thank You for replying. My service manual says it has no horizontal adjustment. It says the horizontal is fixed by the structure of the front sheet metal and the construction of the headlight assy. I have attempted to slightly modify the mounting holes and sheet metal. I have also had both out and examined them a couple of times. They are not bad, I would just like to make a small adjustment. If I cannot find aftermarket replacements, then I will just live with them. Tom
Old 05-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at this.
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Tribute aftermarket headlights-tribute-lights-low.png  
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 AM

thank you for your reply, where did this come from or what car is this for. My headlight does not look like this or have these adjustments. I only have one in the middle and it is for up/down. Thanks so much. Tom
Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Max View Post
thank you for your reply, where did this come from or what car is this for. My headlight does not look like this or have these adjustments. I only have one in the middle and it is for up/down. Thanks so much. Tom
My Haynes manual states there is vertical screw adjustment only - any other adjustment should be performed by a dealer. I suspect that horizontal adjustment isn't needed over the normal lifetime of the vehicle (whereas suspension sag over time can necessitate vertical adjustment), given accurate enough production build tolerances.

That doesn't mean the lights cannot be adjusted but I suspect if they need it then the vehicle is assumed to have incorrectly-repaired (perhaps without a necessary jig), front end damage.

I'm also surprised there is no horizontal adjustment but it seems so on the Tributes.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

My diagram is from the Factory service manual.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Thank you, the aim is definitely good enough. No other person would ever notice or comment. I'm just ****, picky and OCD, haha, I would just like to make a slight modification. I'll just get used to it. As long as my CD4E holds together I'll be fine.

thanks
Tom
Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Max View Post
Thank you, the aim is definitely good enough. No other person would ever notice or comment. I'm just ****, picky and OCD, haha, I would just like to make a slight modification. I'll just get used to it. As long as my CD4E holds together I'll be fine.

thanks
Tom
Just a thought but if the issue is with what you see on the road, and affects both lights horizontally...then check your rear wheel alignment, it may be a slight crab caused by unequal toe on the rear.