Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2002 Tribute engine removal lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Exclamation 2002 Tribute engine removal lots of pics

OK folk, I did it today. yikes !
I recently replaced my rear catalyst converter and alternator. It was a PITA. When replacing the rear cat I notice two broken exhaust studs. Previous owner had taken it to the dealership way back when , they broke two studs.
The truck was loud and leaking exhaust , I had no choice but remove the engine.
It is a V6

First , preparation. I removed the drive shafts, exhaust, hoses, connectors etc... Preping the engine for removal took me 4 hours. here is a pic just before I dropped.
Yes I dropped the engine and transmission.

Below you can see some of the junk I had to remove. nonetheless to say it was a PITA...

Engine is now out. Removing it from the bottom was not so bad.

view from another angle

Procedure to remove the broken studs, first you drill in to it with a small drill bit, then use this tool seen here ( You can buy it at Sears ) Tap it in with a hammer, then use vise grips to unscrew it. There were two broken studs. You can see the blackness from leaky exhaust.

Final project, all studs removed and replaced. Next steps is possible replace my rack and pinion since the engine is out it should be a breeze to replace.
You can clearly see the broken studs where the one on the far left bottom and the one on the far right top. ( See the blackness on the cylinder head )

Last edited by mig25; 01-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.