Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Tribute - no dash or tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Default 2001 Tribute - no dash or tail lights

My fiancee has a 2001 Tribute v6 and neither her dash nor her tail lights are working. I've replaced the Multi-Function Switch thinking that might be the problem, but that didn't fix it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't know if it'll help narrow it down, but the rear wiper doesn't work either. I realize that's on a different switch, but may be related or relevant.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:38 PM

I also checked the fuse. There's a 10A in there (should be a 5A) but it's not burned out. The 10A has been in there for a while from what I gather. I'll replace it with a 5A, but I pulled the 5A from the radio and checked it and still nothing. I didn't think it would fix it, but it was worth a shot. The fusable link in the engine compartment looks good too.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Take another look thru the fuse box. 5amp seems too small a fuse. I just want to make sure your looking in the right slot because the dash and tail lights do share the same fuse.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Take another look thru the fuse box. 5amp seems too small a fuse. I just want to make sure your looking in the right slot because the dash and tail lights do share the same fuse.
I did. It's 5A. #18.
#? Mazda 2001 Tribute Passenger Compartment Fuse Box Diagram ? Circuit Wiring Diagrams

Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 PM

I checked #15 too. And I was wrong there's a 15A in 18, not a 10A.

No tail, dash or cluster lights at all.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Thought the 5 was too small for that circuit. When I get some time today, I'll dig thru that diagram and see if I can help point you in the right direction. Is there a trailer hitch or wiring installed for one? If so, check to see if there might be a concern with that wiring. Might help with tail lights but wouldn't affect dash unless it was blowing the fuse.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Thought the 5 was too small for that circuit. When I get some time today, I'll dig thru that diagram and see if I can help point you in the right direction. Is there a trailer hitch or wiring installed for one? If so, check to see if there might be a concern with that wiring. Might help with tail lights but wouldn't affect dash unless it was blowing the fuse.
Yeah, there's a hitch. I didn't realize the connectors were exposed due to the cap being off. Took a multimeter to that as well as the tail light (vehicle on and headlights on) and nothing changed on the meter.

I bought a pack of fuses with a tester and the ones I pulled checked out. I replaced them anyway. No luck.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:34 PM

Do you have power at the fuse? Is there a fuse/relay box near the battery also? If so, check that one for a fuse labeled meter, 40a. I'm going off memory and an old diagram. I'm the first to admit neither is as fresh as it used to be. Might even have two different models in my head.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Do you have power at the fuse? Is there a fuse/relay box near the battery also? If so, check that one for a fuse labeled meter, 40a. I'm going off memory and an old diagram. I'm the first to admit neither is as fresh as it used to be. Might even have two different models in my head.
No power at the fuse. I didn't see a 'meter' in the block in the engine compartment. But BTN1 and BTN2 (both 40a) are good according to my tester.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 PM

When I get back to the shop Monday, I'll dig out the old school book and see if I can't find the flow path from the battery to the fuse box. I've seen trailer wiring play h@ll because it gets forgotten about.

Quick Reply: 2001 Tribute - no dash or tail lights