Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute dies while idling

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Default Tribute dies while idling

I've been having trouble for the past 4 months with my 05 Tribute dying while it is idling in gear. Once it diesI can put in in neutral, give it some gas, and then change gears and it seems ok, but as soon as it is idling again it will die. This doesn't happen every time, but frequently enough to be an annoyance. I've taken it in to get looked at and they won't fix it because it wouldn't die while the shop had it. I would really like this fixed before winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Tribute dies while idling

probably an IAC valve. does this happen when the a/c is on, off, or both?any other accessories on when it happens?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

The only thing that is on is the radio. It has happened when the AC is on and off.Do you a price range for the valve to be replaced?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM

If it only dies when its idling have you noticed if the engine warning light comes on.
I had the same trouble with mine for about the same length of time and just like you couldt get it fixed because it wasnt happening all the time.
Yours sounds like it may be the same problem but you need to get someone run the computer diagnostics over it.
Eventually it started to happen regular and the engine warning light stayed on.
Got it checked out and the computer diagnosis came up with the EVAP purge canister solenoid faulty and needs replacing.
Haventreplaced ityet because my local dealer wants £100 just for the solenoid and I think thats just extortionate for what it is.
I.m trying all I can to get one cheaper but no luck yet. Looks like I'll have to pay the £100.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Sounds like IAC Valve. Sits on top of engine block and very easy to replace yourself. IAC Valve costs around $90 and can be purchased in most automotive parts stores. This also sounds a little crazy but it will work if it is your IAC Valve. Next time it does this, tap the IACValve with hammer - if it fixes the problem you know it is your IAC Valve.

My Tribute was giving me trouble when I was starting it. Would not kick over and would have to rev engine. Baby Huey who used to post said try to hit IAC Valve with hammer. I did and would start right up.

If you check thru older posts Baby Huey supplied a picture in one of them of the IAC Valve and where it sits on top of the engine block.

Instead of replacing you can also just try to clean the IAC Valve as well.