Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

04 Tribute LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Default 04 Tribute LX

Just purchased a 2004 Mazda tribute, some questions"
-In the instruction manual does it says to used only the Mazda Orange Extended life coolant... is that true or can i use another brand?
-In the manual it also says for power steering fluid only use: mercon atf fluid is that correct? Or can another type/ brand be used?
-It has 50K any recommendations around that mileage that has to be done to the vehicle, known problems?
ALSO the main question I have is it has the silver trime around the window switches and around the center console (around the cd player and climate control) the silver in some spots is faded to black, I wouldn't mind taking out the center console and paint it, but I cannot figure out how you get that piece out, in my chrsyler i had you would just pop it out but that doesn't look like the case here. Also the climate control **** for heat is worn down from silver to black I would also like to paint the ***** any advice?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: 04 Tribute LX

Hi Ryan, welcome. I have the same vehicle, so let me attempt to answer your questions. Coolant - as long as it's long-life (5 year) orange coolant, you can probably use any brand. Just don't use the green stuff! Trans. fluid - Only use Mercon V! It's the newest and best tranny fluid for Ford transmissions (you do know your truck is 99% Ford Escape, right?). It is semi-synthetic, and does a good job of resisting heat. If there's no evidence the original fluid has been flushed/refilled, have that done ASAP. As for the trim panels, I have no idea how they come off. My Mazda is the same year, same mileage as yours and I have no signs of the silver paint wearing off the window switches and climate *****. Sounds like your previous owner wasn't too gentle with those items.

Good luck and stop back with any questions. Sometimes it takes awhile to get a response, but usually you will get one.