Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

01 Tribute rear bumper cover part#/paint code

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Default 01 Tribute rear bumper cover part#/paint code

So a couple of weeks ago our 2001 Tribute ES-V6 was rear-ended. The guy opted to pay for the body shop quote outside of insurance, and I happen to be a tech, so we happily agreed. As you can see from the photos, the lens and bumper cover need to be replaced, and the quarter panel need to be pushed out a hair.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

To begin with: I've never attempted body work before, but frankly we're not all that concerned how absolutely perfect it looks, so I'm going to give the quarter panel repair a shot. My plan is to remove the interior trim, use a hairdryer or small torch to warm the metal from the inside, and wedge/pry/tap the body back to shape. Advice would certainly be welcome.

On a more time sensitive note (as far as ordering is concerned), I need some help sorting through parts info for the bumper cover. I've already got a lens on its way. Initially, my VIN led me on a search for part number EC0450221H44. However, as you can see in the pictures, the car has been retrofitted with a trailer hitch. The dealer said the factory "w/ hitch" cover is unavailable and I'd have to cut a "w/o hitch" cover (like it is now). My research led me to part number EC0450221H78 for the factory "w/ hitch" cover. Can anyone confirm this an/or locate a reliable source for the part?

Also, I can't decipher whether or not the part will come painted. Some sources say no, other clues (like the part descriptions everywhere listing as either titanium or dark grey) lead me to think yes. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me clear that up, and possibly identify the paint code I'd need to ultimately get it painted. Thanks for your input.