Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Default Turbo

Hey gang,
Need some serious help on installing a turbo on my 2004 RX8 ....ANY FEEDBACK OR THOUGHTS.....mechanical or otherwise will be greatly appreciated....

Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Default RE: Turbo

What type of engine management will you be runnng?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM

That's an awfully general request you're making.....what are you having trouble with?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 AM

sorry can't help i know nothing.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM

greddy builds a complete turbo kit for it. that would be the best way to go. i think that it has the 16g turbo with the greddy e-manage system

Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM

i have a greddy e-manage turbo on my 04 rx8 and dont know what the boost limit is? if anyone knows what the engine is capable of handling i would love to know. my dump gate is set to 7 psi and i want to increase it but im not sure what the engine can handle

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM

if you want to go much higher than that, i would recommend that you pull the stock OMP and start putting a fuel additive in the tank. that way you can run a heavy weight synthetic oil in the engine. that alone will let you handle a few more psi without any more stress on the engine. i would only recommend going with about 12-14 psi if you do the other work also. still, watch the AFR to make sure that the chamber is staying wet.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM

What effect does the synthetic oil have on the engine as synthetic is not recommended or does a gas additive effect the burning of synthetic oil to better burn off?
Thx

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

if you want to go much higher than that, i would recommend that you pull the stock OMP and start putting a fuel additive in the tank. that way you can run a heavy weight synthetic oil in the engine. that alone will let you handle a few more psi without any more stress on the engine. i would only recommend going with about 12-14 psi if you do the other work also. still, watch the AFR to make sure that the chamber is staying wet.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM

the motor is designed to burn oil and most synthetics don't burn the same way that dino's do. that is one of the many reasons that you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic on a piston motor.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 PM

I would never recommend to a novice anything about turboing their own car, except don't. If you want it done and haven't ever worked on one before.... then take your money and find a shop that has a reputation, tools and past knowledge of tuning, and let them do it for you. I'd guess that 70% of successful turbo mods that are done, are done by experienced shops, not beginners working on their own daily driver. If you've done it before then you don't need much advice from here, if you need advice from here.. then I think you are already unprepared. Be aware that turboing an RX8 is about more than just throwing money at it and swapping out and bolting on a few engine parts. Forum opinions don't count for much if the guy giving it isn't standing next to you with the proper tool in his hand. There are also suspension, exhaust, and especially electrical tweaks as well, including scrapped cut knuckles, and lack of, or wrong tools or equipment. However if Mazda sold a factory prepped street legal turbo RX8 i'd own one now... but they don't. There are several tuning mags. (( such as Modified, Sport Compact Car, one called Turbo (which i seldom see around)) you can read up and get info or at least a beginner education from, and better yet find a shop which does mods and spend some time watching them and talking it over. A good shop crew with the parts ready to go can do it in a weekend, or you and your friends might spend a week or more and never get it right. Turboing is like a haircut, the basics are the same but every individual person/car is different. Good luck and let this forum know how it went.

Quick Reply: Turbo