Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

rx8 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Default rx8 help

hey i was thinking bout gettin an a 08 rx8 and i want to get 400whp out it without using turbo/supercharger any suggestions

Old 04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Default RE: rx8 help

my only suggestion is to buy stock in new motors. it is complicated to mod a rotary to gain lots of hp without forced induction. even with forced induction, 400 hp isn't incredibly streetable when you get down to it.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM

troll alert!!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM

in delaware its streetable... but i havent made my decision yet because I'm sure i want a mazda justtryna choose between a rx8 and3... and at first i was thinking about boostin the hell out of it with a supercharger to get out 400whp but then all i found were turbo kits and not really a big fan and they deactivate at 6700rpm no good...

Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM

1. it doesn't matter what state that you are in, if there are any emissions laws at all, you have to worry about adding 160 hp to a car and keeping it legal expecially since you are planning on staying naturally aspirated. that is also only at the e-shaft, not the wheels. 400 at the wheels would be a whole lot more work.

2. turbos don't just de-activate at 6700 rpms. most turbos will run out of steam about that time, but there are some that you can get to follow that rotary engine all of the way through to almost 8k rmps. you need a turbo kit and not just a turbo. there needs to be controllers, a fuel system, exhaust system, etc.

3. a supercharger kit for a rotary engine is hard to find because of the fact that the s/c would be almost as large as the motor itself. turbo makes a lot more sense anyways. there is less tax on the engine since the turbo runs on wasted exhaust pressure instead of a belt that the motor turns.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM

I don't know how it is in the RX-8's, but the 7's tended to have a weak rear end. Big boosts in power (or grip) led to a broken rear end. So if you're going from 240 hp to 400 hp, how much more torque do you think you'll get?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM

emissions--> wouldn't really be a a problem some guy at the dmv passes any car for $250.
you have a point with the s/c being almost as big as the engine
But where could i find turbo kits that will follow through to atleast 8k???

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM

A couple years ago someone did a $46,000+ turbo with I believe 384 hp at the engine, I don't remember if that translated to the rear wheels. It spent a lot of time in the shop with a crew of pro. mechanics, I don't know if it's still running. Heres a person who wants to buy an 08 RX-8, he doesn't say new or used, but how many used 08's are on the market? Why used you ask? Because what he says he wants to do requires modifying or discarding nearly every single part of the mechanics of the car, including changing all it's driving dynamics. A 400 hp engine for an RX-8 is a racing type forced air induction engine costing as much as the original car. Then he will have to change most of the electrics, the cooling system, drive train, rear end, rear axle, all the suspension parts, braking system, all the emissions controls, and modify the chassis to support those changes. One of the reasons for the good driving dynamics of the RX-8 is the size of and ability to place the engine far back in the chassis for balanced weight distribution. The size of the engine he wants to put in the car with 400 hp at the rear wheels will be larger and more complicated than any normal RX-8 rotary engine. This will require changes to the entire body structure, not to even get into the custom built fabricated body parts necessary for it to work. What he really claims to want is an RX-8 body with every mechanical part replaced. So why buy a new RX-8 when all the changes will create a completely different vehicle, why not just buy a different car? Or he should just buy the cheapest RX body he can find and start his rebuilt "funny car." He isn't a part of any race team or he would already know the problems he is facing. We already know he hasn't got the knowledge to do this modification himself and my bet is that he hasn't got the money to finance any part of his pipe dream. He further indicates that he might have to pay off "some guy" at the local dmv to pass any inspections.

Thus because of his original question as worded and subsequent syntax.... troll alert.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
VB

^ Well said. You can't just throw a turbo on something and get 150+HP gains.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 AM

im a noob bound to have a couple stupid ideas i get it.... but and unless your work at commerce bank dont make any comments money wise.... ima do some research now

Quick Reply: rx8 help