Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda RX-8 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-rx-8-34/)
-   -   engine problems galore! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-rx-8-34/engine-problems-galore-495/)

basil 05-22-2005 10:30 PM

engine problems galore!

OK, is there anyone else out there with a 2004 RX8 manual trans. who has needed their engine replaced? I have only 20,000 miles on mine and suddenly the car started running lean, couldn't get any acceleration and the engine light came on. Took it into the dealer, they're stumped, called the main office and were told the solution was to replace the engine. Some kind of sensor (oxygen) was awry and they had new engines that had it fixed. Two weeks later I picked up the car (under warranty, thank god!) and drove it for ONE DAY before the same thing happened again, engine light on, and couldn't accelerate over 10 mph. Had to have it towed in and am now waiting to hear the verdict. This stinks. Up to now I loved the car.

tpbaker 05-23-2005 12:11 AM

RE: engine problems galore!

oh CRAP my 2004 has 28200 miles and the engine light came on yesterday! It seems to be running fine. I hope this is not the start of something awful!

stilltryin 05-23-2005 07:37 PM

Mine has 13,500 on it. Only thing so far is oil light came on, I pulled over immediately, was still full of oil, light went off and has not come back on since, figured it was just a fluke. Will definately watch the engine light!

TheRedBaron 06-16-2005 03:14 AM

I have an 04 Rx-8 and I had my engine light come on around 6,00 miles. It was sputtering through first and second gear around 4,500 rpm's. I took it to my dealer, and the computer was going nutty. It turns out that it was misfiring one of the plugs. They told me they re-programmed the computer with an upgraded software, and it has been fine ever since. Try giving this a shot.

khblair 07-15-2005 04:45 PM

all of these seem to be with with 2004s. does anyone know if this problem was fixed with the 2005 models? we just brought home the Shinka this week and this makes me very nervous!

babyhuey 07-28-2005 08:58 PM

There have not been many engine problems outside of vehicles with auto trans. There are some issues with compression that are being looked into. As for your low oil light coming on with level being ok. On 2004 model only, if the last six digits of your VIN are at or below 111043 there may be an updated oil pan and pcm reprogram available to correct this. Check with you local dealer. If you are not experiencing this problem then don't worry about it. Not all are affected

wuboog36 08-03-2005 05:33 PM

Don't feel too bad, my 2004 automatic rx-8 has had the engine replaced, another oil cooler added, and then the same thing; a car that shuts off when it comes to a stop!! Haven't had it for three weeks and still do not know what they are trying to do. I agree, loved the damn thing until now!

the_gray_mazda6 08-25-2005 05:49 PM

cars like to play guessing games with you. i had a 96 ford explorer, was taking an offramp and it turned off on me midway through a turn at the bottom of the ramp and i almost nailed it. lost all hydraulic power as well.

MAZDASERVICE 08-26-2005 07:10 PM

There is an updated pcm reflash for this concern...have your dealer look for the T.S.B

MAZDASERVICE 08-26-2005 07:13 PM

OIL CONSUMPTION

OIL CONSUMPTION

This is normal for this vehicle.

IF you all read your manual..your RX8 will use oil...advise to check it every 500km-if your heavy on the pedal it will use more oil