Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

2002 RX8 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Default 2002 RX8 wont start

Hello new friends as this is my first post. I myself am a very well qualified auto tech when it comes to normal engines, However I have never worked at all on a Rotary engine which actually now looks fairly simple to me. My friend who had brain tumor surgery a while back owns a 2002 RX8 that had to sit for a while and had recently a new battery installed. She has ask me to help her now because she has been driving the car with no problems until last week when she came home in it and the next day the car would not start but would turn over. I do have an OBD2 scanner which I will start out with,then check for grounds and fuses. Any suggestions as to what other than that would be much appreciated, BTW the car only has 38,000 on the clock. Thanks again for any advice.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

How much fuel is in the tank?

These engines are very easy to flood if they are turned off before they fully warm up.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the response Grim Reaper, I have yet to go to the owners/ friends house to check it out. I've just been trying to educate myself about the RX8 Rotary engine, So I'm not sure how much fuel it has in it. I have read some about the flooding issue with the RX8. Right now I've never even seen one of these engines. Looks like some people remove the plugs and then crank the engine over multiple times for about 10 seconds giving the starter a break between cranking again. I've also read a similar process where the plugs are not removed, Is it difficult to access/ remove from what I understand the lead and trailing spark plugs for the deflooding process? What is your best opinion of how too de flood the engine? I will be going to check the car out this afternoon, So I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible on this type of engine. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Smile

Thanks to this Forum using the info on flooding issues I was able to get her car running, and added another car to my customer/ friends list of cars that I repair. I'm certain I'll be back in the future to find information on her RX8. One ? are the spark plugs located on the underside of the engine? as I was not able to see under the vehicle since I was at her home and not my shop. Thanks for the wealth of information your forum has to offer.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Spark plugs are accessed thru the LF wheel arch, after removing the LF wheel.
There are 4 plugs, 2 trailing & 2 leading, also 4 coil packs & 4 HT heads to match.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info on the plugs location as I will most likely replace them when I do a brake job here in a few week. I know what coil packs are, but what are the 4 HT heads that you refer too?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

I Meant to say HT Leads. HT, = High Tension also called Spark plug wires.