Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

will i be able to swap my 93 13b tt re in my 91 rx7

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Default will i be able to swap my 93 13b tt re in my 91 rx7

how hard will it be and what all do i nead

Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 PM

short answer, yes. long answer, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

1. the motor mounts need to be modified. http://www.banzai-racing.com/ sells the mounts that you will need. they also have a very helpful support staff that is incredibly knowledgeable. i like them a lot.

2. you don't even want to try to use stock engine management on this motor. go ahead and do yourself a favor when the stock motor is coming out; tear up the harness and build a custom harness along with some after market management. http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/megasquirt/ is a good place to look for specific advice. i like the megasquirt because of the freedom of self-tuning. http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/a...uirt-c-25.html is a place where you can find megasquirt ecu components. if you don't want to do that, you can check into other ecu options. i can say that the megasquirt is the cheapest option and it just takes a little more research and a lot more hands-on stuff.

3. going along with management, you will want to do a single swap. the stock twins are really hard to tune with, so just do yourself a favor and swap for a single set-up. it will net you more power in the end anyways.

4. if you do find an re motor stateside, i recommend a rebuild. it is seldom that people sell a perfectly good re motor.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

REALLY glad you jumped in on this one, Wes.
I know that anything is possible if you want it bad enough, but your post is much more useful and informative than anything I could have said about it.
Thanks!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM

that's what i'm here for.

BTW, jdn3182001, don't be overwhelmed by the amount of info i just gave you. this is actually one of the best options that we FC owners have. the RE swap is a definite upgrade from the stock motor, but is a lot of work. i have seen a lot of these successfully done and they perform like a dream.

if you have a non-turbo, you could just swap a second gen turbo motor into it. it will be an incredible upgrade still, but not anywhere near the same cost.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM

You mean like this?

It started life as a TurboII and ended up with a 13B-REW swapped in. I decided on a Motec M4 with unlocked lambda so I could tune myself.

I have learned a lot along the way and would be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

I found this site searching on goggle for CF doors. I know they exist I just cannot find them.

O/P Question for you:

Is your car a 4 lug or 5 lug? I cannot remember if there even was a 4 lug car in the series 5 years.

You are going to want 5 lug, You will want a TurboII transmission, you do not need a FD tranny a FC one will work fine, but the thicker gears in the Turbo tranny are a must.

Many good points above, twins are o.k. but better results will be had with a sinlge. Throw away the stock ECU and harness, get a stand alone, your budget will dictate what to get.

You will need a Front mount intercooler.

Engine, you have to decide if you want a true 13B-REW or if you want to swap out the front engine cover for a FC one. Many guys to the latter because you can use the FC water pump, radiator, pulleys and belts for the A/C, power steering, etc.. if equiped.

I chose to stick with the REW front cover and belts but I had to customize some stuff for it to work, and I had to get an electric fan.

your fuel pump will have to be upgraded, make sure a new fuel filter is installed when you do this so your fuel system is up to par. There are many drop in pumps you can choose from. I went with an external setup with a custom pickup capable of 700HP, overkill, yes, but the whole car has been overkilled.

If I think of anything else I will post it up. If you want a pic of something just ask I can do that too.

BTW- I did this swap almost 6 years ago when no one was thinking of doing it, I even had to make a custom engine mount. When I say I, I should be clear and say my mechanic/friend. He did all the fabrications to make this happen. I do not have the time / tools / talent to do this myself. While I have done a lot of my own work on this car, this guy made the swap happen. He is in Port St. Lucie Florida, JR Fabrications and Performance, used to be called Just Racing Fabrications.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM

welcome to the boards. i think that i recognize your car, but there's not much telling since i am on a few other boards also. the OP hasn't been on since he posted this, but i covered it in more detail in the FAQ section.

nice FC by the way. i'm an s4 turbo II owner myself.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by wsoape281
welcome to the boards. i think that i recognize your car, but there's not much telling since i am on a few other boards also. the OP hasn't been on since he posted this, but i covered it in more detail in the FAQ section.

nice FC by the way. i'm an s4 turbo II owner myself.
Thanks!

I did not realize OP had not been on here since og post. Hopefully he goes for it, it makes for a very fun car.

To be honest, the last time this car was on a board in detail was on Nopistons maybe 3 years ago. It was also on Team but never on the Club.

I am more active on some non specific car forums now. Like one in South Florida and one in the Carolina Mountains where I go to play car.

A couple of very recent pics of the car.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM

i probably saw it on nopistons in an old post. i used to be on all of the boards, but now i just get on one or two rx specific boards. my friend just started one and it is just starting to grow.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 AM

Sorry to hijack.

What was your screen name on there?

I used to be very active on NP, being a moderator, but I made a mistake, I hired the owner of the site to work for me. I had to fire him, he got his revenge on me online banning me from his site and deleting 2 website I personally had through his hosting company.

Lesson learned.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 AM

i was mazda_wes on there, the club, and our houston club. mazdawes (all one word) on spooled up racing.

Quick Reply: will i be able to swap my 93 13b tt re in my 91 rx7