Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

What is the Value of My '82 Rx-7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Default What is the Value of My '82 Rx-7?

It may be time to sell my beloved Rx-7. I have had offers and discussions of offers but hesitate because I cannot accurately pin-down its value.

Way-beyond blue-book's system, what process does one go through to determine its value?

I just joined this forum in hopes I could get an answer to this.

Regards,

John

Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Frankly John, you are not giving us much info to go on, such as location, mileage, trans type, recent repairs, maintenance records and history, bodywork and/or accident repair, factory options, smokers car, overall condition (subjective,) etc. Is the car stock or has it been modded? Original wheels or aftermarket? Are you the original owner? How many owners has it had?
I would document EVERYTHING you know about the car.

And if I were you, I would research the cars for sale sites, e.g. eBay Motors, Cars.com, etc and see what an '82 7 is going for.

It's not likely going to be a true classic, but you might find someone that really wants a 1st gen 7 for one reason or another, that assuming the car is in showroom condition, might be willing to part with more of theor hard earned cash.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-13-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Default Your Reply

Thanks for your reply.

I will try what you suggest, and in the meantime if the description is helpful to you or others in this forum in providing some value-cues, I would be appreciative.

I am the second owner, the first being a friend who had it for just a year. My purchase allowed him his Porsche Targa. He did SCCA, qualifying for nationals in that year, a top driver obviously. He removed the catalytic converter to improve power, I added it back when I moved back to CA.

No smoker, 5 speed, Mayan gold with slight paint mods including blackout of rocker panels, matched mirrors to body color and tastefully modified in my opinion. Leather wrap steering wheel, Cibie running lights, turbo-wed wheels, upgraded stereo with 6 speakers/equalizer. Cruise control, all else standard.
Very, very good condition, but its years are showing in some places; some door internal vinyl cracking, paint/pin stripingis showing its age and. I restuffed the drivers seat (Vinyl/cloth combo interior). No accidents but I had to retouch the lower back panel paint after scraping a cone in a construction zone.

During my 29 years always garaged except a few years in San Diego in a car-port after my main vehicle went south. Illinois ownership, 5 years, driven on weekends, special occasions only, and on good weather days, I do not think it saw any rain/snow there. St. Louis for a few years as my second vehicle, so not driven much there and garaged.

CO for 12 years, my second vehicle and garaged and barely driven finally up on blocks for 5 years before moving to San Diego/Orange County the past 8 years.

Always a second vehicle till my first car blew-up so drove it in SD for 4 years. Now 106K miles. Failed emissions in '08 and has been garaged ever since, but started and driven to keep everything working. I was fortunate that the local Mazda mechanic owned the same year, so new it well and kept it in tip top shape till the emissions fail. His assessment was the fix would cost as much as it was worth. So it has sat garaged, started occasionally since.

All shined up it is pretty stunning (love that Mayan gold!), literally a head-turner and had people stop me, leave notes in the windshield with offers to buy.

With recent marriage and impending move it is time.

If more detail is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

John

Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Default rx-7

i miss my 7 now have an 8 but am looking for another 7.