Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Screamin Demon Tranny?? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Default Screamin Demon Tranny?? (Long)

First off let you let you know Im not a big Rotor Head, although Ive work on a few 7's in my day.
Im posting this for a friend (who is a Big Rotor Head) because he does not have internet in his new Aprt yet.
Anywayyyyy...

We just finished droppin in a new 2 rotor 13B in his 3rd Gen FD
Old engine and turbos were toast.

He pick up a fresh 2 Rotor 13B (street Port) from someone swapped over all good parts from his old engine, we installed a New/used T-78 twin scroll only 1,000 miles on it Ripp out all the emission crap and kept only the required solenoids that was need to make the car run. (hes done all research for wiring and stuff)
Brand new Excedy clutch Hyper single clutch kit installed
Power FC ECU
Forgot Inj. but they are larger ones Top feeds with necessary resistors wired in

Got everything installed
Engine cranks up then shoots to 3,500RPM's for 3-4 seconds then boggs and hunts for Idle for a few seconds then dies (due to PFC Initalizing learning sequence)
we cannot get the PFC to completely initalize it keeps dieing if we dont tap the throttle, but when it does idle its
Bwaaaap...1 1/2 seconds....bwaaaap..... ect

This just came to me while typing but we didnt set the Inj. Lag time, but other than the Hunting engine runs fine No rich condition, but also need to plumb in the Injector atomizer vacumm source?

Anyway sorry to get off track of the main problem, So the engine starts
but as soon as the RPM's increase above above 800 RPM's there is this horrible sceaming noise comming from the font transmission area. Doesnt matter if clutch is engaged or disengaged

Yes we put Tranny fluid in the tranny

TOB was replaced with the Excedy one provided in the kit, Input shaft and carrier being was greased

Transmission shifts fine through out all gears

first we thought it was the compressor wheel making contact with the compressor housing, Nope
Check all belts : Brand new all tight

I am certin it is a problem in the clutch area, I havent delt too much with a pull type clutch set up other than on a Supra but only once, so im not sure what all could make this sound.

The engine came out of a Automatic It had the counter weight on it, if that matters.
He aslo said he didnt change the pilot bearing he said it looked new and spun and Greased, but I dont know if ya'll PB are differnt sizes from autos to manual which I kinda leaning towards the PB all jacked up.

Like I said my friend is very knowledgeable with Rotary engines he owned a couple of FC's so this is not his first

Well sorry for the long *** post, im trying to explain it the best I can

Hopefully someone can help us out, Thanks again

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Screamin Demon Tranny?? (Long)

It sounds to me like you guys have your ducks in a row and already know what direction tolook in?
The only other thing I might add is that I have heard that AM TOB"s can be crap out of the box, but that would likely go away w/the pedal depressed, or at least make a different sound(s.)
The PB is certainly another possibility.
How about the input shaft bearing? Since the tranny was disturbed (removed, drained, refilled, reinstalled) there"s a chanceit didn"t "like" something about that process.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Yeah these are really simple engines, not to many things it could be

Im kinda iffy on the TOB being the Problem, Excedy is a good company havent really heard any problems about them, Now SPEC thats a differnt story.

But there is no change in sound if engaged or disengaged.

Its just a weird sound to come from a tranny, sounds like a slipping belt (but its not)

I thought it could be the Input shaft bearing but its too loud to be internal,

Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

sounds like you could have the clutch disc mounted backwards.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:16 PM

hmmm now that could be possible.... I talked with him and he said he was very careful in installing it he followed all the pics and instrction that came with the kit

Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM

a screaming tranny only really means one thing, you need to pull it apart again. you will only do more and more damage if you continue to start it up.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

a screaming tranny only really means one thing, you need to pull it apart again. you will only do more and more damage if you continue to start it up.
Thats the plan were gonna pull the tranny, Disassemble the clutch, inspect, grease, and reinstall new pilot bearing, and maybe a TOB, just hoping some body could help pin point or if anyone encountered this before.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM

the only time that i ever had a screaming tranny was when my buddy stuck the clutch brake backwards. i have heard grinding when a pilot bearing was going, but that usually just happens when you put it in gear and release to engage the gear.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

It"s been a very, VERY long time, so long that I forgot.Back in my early days of car repairs, my friend"s too, we did that once and like Wes says, it screamed until we pulled the tranny and reversed the clutch disk.