Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

rebuilding a 13b non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Default rebuilding a 13b non turbo

so i have searched around for a few days. so far i have found gasket sets, rotor sets and a few more sets of things at mazdatrix site. my question what all is most neccessary for a complete over-haul on a 13b with 180k? i assume that not all parts have to be replaced but it would be ideal to. example: in most cases you don't need to replace pistons or valves if they are still within specs. then i wounderedhowor if the C/R belowered in a non turbo 13b? say for instance i later want to add a turbo to my 13b cause for now my buget can only afford to purchase parts for a motor over-haul.

car is a 89 GTu

Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Default RE: rebuilding a 13b non turbo

1. it is easier to find a turbo motor than to turbo a non-turbo motor because of the oil lines, fuel regulator, water lines, sensors, etc. my recommendation is to find a complete turbo motor and just drop it in.

2. you do know that the motor has no pistons or valves, right? i just want to be clear on that before i reply to that one. on a rotary motor, it is just kind of case-by-case on what gets replaced and what doesn't. the apex seals are recommended, but can cause problems replacing on certain rotors. i recommend that you have a professional machinist who is familiar with rotary engines do the apex seals.

3. the c/r can be lowered by using s4 turbo rotors since they have the lowest compression of all of the engines.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Oh boy. To the OP, rebuilding a rotary is a little more in depth than just replacing Apex seals & gaskets. For a good, long lasting rebuild there are a lot of measurements that needs to be taken. The flat housings would have to be lapped flat (if they are reusable), more than likely the rotor housing are probably already trashed. Like "wsoape281" said, if you are wanting to go turbo, it would be easier & cheaper to actually do a T2 swap than building an NA motor to later turbocharge.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM

(wsoape)
1. It is always easier to just drop in a Turbo motor you are right.. I myself like challenges and to fully understand something i dont. Down the road that is more than likely what will happen. Turbo Motor

2. yes i am awarerotary motors have no pistons. I am a schooled mechanic just rotary's arenew to me. i understand the difference just not the specifics. this is why i asked.

3. howor if the C/R belowered in a non turbo 13b? Changing to s4 turbo rotors will lower compression.

hopefully i dont get locked in a corner for this. I really like the feed back but i dont like being made to be dumb. there is always a simple direct way to just answer a question. I am very intrigued on the working of rotary.So dont think that i willtuck my tail and run. I want to learn more than what i will read in books.

Once again I am thankful for the feed back.

(Mazmart Trini)

OP? Opposing Party?? Rebuilding any motor is always more in depth than just replacing seals and gaskets. This i am aware of. What i am not aware of is the wear factor on internal parts in rotary motors. This is why i gave an example toward piston engines cause that is what i am familar with.Now when you say (if they are reusable)referring to the housings, is this always the case? I can see if i overheated it or distroyed a shaft and things came undone internally. It is not always neccessary thata head or block has to be plained after a blown head gasket.

a little more info on me....

I have rebuilt many piston motors, done major swaps on a few different makes and models, and have done many upgrades. I have had most of everything needed to perform a complete engine rebuilt. Moving from Hawaii back in 97 I sold everything that I could not fit in a duffel bag to move to LV. If I owned or worked in a well equiped machine shop I would do it all. Anything that i will find that is out of specwhen i start the 13b rebuild will be taken to a recommended qualified shop to be plained, pressed and what ever else i cant do.
Please dont assumeI know nothing at all. Rather understand that I want to know more about Rotary.

Thank You allkindly

Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 PM

well, we have to start from square one with a lot of people on these boards. the bulk of the people that stumble onto our boards are just coming to us with major problems and have extremely vague descriptions for what is going on. if we treat them like they know what they are doing, we just confuse them and go into a lot longer help threads or mislead them.

i don't recommend rebuilding at this point because of the fact that you want to go turbo eventually anyways. with the description that you gave in the other thread, it isn't anywhere near broken, so don't fix it. if you are planning on going turbo soon, the work will be kind of wasted. just study up and plan for the build. like i said, if you go to replace the apex seals, you may tear up the rotors enough to have to replace them too. you can get a turbo motor for the project from here www.jdmtigerjapanese.com .

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my reply. It was not to bash you in any way. It was simply to say that rebuilding a Rotary is not an easy task like a lot of people think. Whichever route you decide to go, I say good luck & hope it turns out good.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

I can vouch for both of theseguys, kekoaenos. I'm sureneither meant you any harm and are both very good, supportiveand knowledgeable members here.I can say with assurance thatnothing personal was meant by MT's comments.
We tend to take most things pretty lightly on this board. Perhaps that's what keeps bringing me back??
If we disagree or argue a point of contention about sonmething, we often just agree to disagree and move on. I like that about being here. No real flame wars here like on other boards I am signed up to.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM

its all good. nothing was taken personal on my end. it is hard to send exspressions by posts. I just felt that i needed to let it be known from the start where I stand on skill level in a general befor it went further. I always try to be as specific as i know howto especially whenasking about things i know little about(rotary). For the most partI have self taught myself bymostly hands on. Then when i want/need to know moreI find books.For me it wasthis way in the beginning. after years and years of wrenching with too many to count "oops". and some technical training from UTI back in 96 my ways are much different.

actually i did laugh at Mazmart's reply just reading "oh boy, rebuilding a rotary is a little more in depth than just replacing Apex seals & gaskets." first thing i said to myself was, looks like they think i know nothing at all. not at all was it taken the wrong way.as soon as i get more of the rotary/mazda lingo down ill be able to keep up better. once again TY for the feed back.looking foward to future conversions and throwing thoughts around.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM

we are all glad to help. i live, breathe, eat, and sleep cars, so i talk about them when i can't drive or work on them.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 AM

. Car nut here also. Have owned 4 RX7s prior to my 6.

Quick Reply: rebuilding a 13b non turbo