Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Motor Swap?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Default Motor Swap?????????????????

QUESTION??????????????????????????????????

will a JDM 13b-t S5 motor trans ecu and harness be a direct fit into my 89 GTU non turbo????? i got a line on one shiped from the east coast to california for 1800. being as i just bought a driveline befor my motor quit will i have to purchase another one? and what other parts will i have to or might have to get? if any one knows i need this information promptlyplease call me on my cell 928 864 6051 thank you

Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Motor Swap?????????????????

Direct fit - Yes
Easily wired - No

I just suffered a brain fart. I can't remember all what has to be done. Will have more info 2morrow.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM

if i am getting the ecu and harness for the 13b-t motor what else would i be wiring in? i have boost, air/fuel,and oil pressure guages already. tach is probably different but i could live with out for a month or so. i'd have to find a turbo hood to correct? i hear the white turbo hoods air lighter is that fact or myth?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 AM

I think you need a USDM harness.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Default white smoke FD

when i start my 92 RX7 (FD), there's a lot of white smoke from the exhaust... when the engine warms up, the smoke goes away, the rpm during start up is really low, then it goes to 800 to 900 rpm when the engine warms up. i took it to Mazda to get the CO test, all are ok, no problems.. looked at the coolant reservoir, no bubbles coming out... white smoke doesn't smell like coolant.... mechanic suggest replace the turbo.. maybe oil from the turbo leaking... any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM

just a reminder i am a mechanical personabbreviation's dont stick with me very well USDM???????????? this makes me think to ask how many harnesses are there on my mazda? i should look i know. But if a seller says that the ecu and harness for a complete motor and trans is encluded would the USDM harness not be apart of that?

here's an examplen my91 Vw Cabriolet there are 3 harnesses. the main harness is ecu/under hood. the second is everything under the dash. the third is specifically power windows. now off of every harness there are connections to the fuse box. for less hassels the fuse box stays with the main harness.

in comparison to a 91 cabby which would be the usdm harness?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

usdm = united states domestic model.

if you had an s4, it would make things a little easier. the s4 jdm and s4 usdm harnesses are basically the same, but the s5 jdm harness is different than any other harness that you will deal with. if you have the electrical knowledge, you could build a custom harness out of similar wiring. i know a site that sells stand-alone engine management where you could just build a custom harness for a new ecu. trouble with that is you would need to tune the new ecu and install custom firmware.

best bet is to go ahead and order a jdm s5 harness along with the motor and ecu.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 PM

so if the add states that the ECU and harness come with the sale of the Motor and Trans where is it that i am gonna have issues? at the fuse box? guages? i started to think about the SDS system i have but i think what i have is for distributor motors only not coil packs.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM

if it comes with the harness and ecu, the only problems that you will have is pulling your hair out. all you need to do is pull the stock harness and drop the new one in. it sounds easy enough, but it is a pain to do. it takes a while and you will want to take a few breaks so that you don't get frustrated with it. just pull the old harness while you are dropping in the new harness and take your time. don't just rip the old harness out and try to wire up the new one blind. that's where more issues will come from.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Default Motor Swap

I seem to just keep finding more interesting things. now i just came across a twin turbo 13b for 93-95 rx7's for 1700 + shipping. knowing body styles are different by sight but still very curious to ask............ will it fit in my 89 without having to cut,bend or beat the car up? this also encludes both turbo's ecu harness and 5spd trans. or should i just go with the single turbo for the same price? now the differences with numbers are 2 turbo's are 205 hp 1 turbo is like 180hp. then i am also curious if my GT2871r could replace the turbo that comes on the single turbo 13b. decisions decisions decisions

Quick Reply: Motor Swap?????????????????