Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

fuel level sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Default fuel level sending unit

Hi -

I already posted this under "New Member" but have had no responses so thought I would try here.

I recently bought a 1987 RX7 from a friend and so far its been a very positive experience (not counting the ticket I got for doing 120 mph on Hwy 95 in Nevada). I tackled a problem the other day that has been the only majorannoyance since I bought the car. The gas gauge works fine from full till about 1/2 tank, then it goes straight to empty. I have a strong background in electronics and I suspected thefuel sending unit "coil"had an open in it. I was grinning from ear to earwhen I discovered that I did not have to drop the entiregas tank to get to the sendingunit / fuel pump assy - as I have done numerous times onAmerican cars. Thank God someone did it right for once and provided an access coverto the top of the tank from INSIDE the car!3 cheers for MAZDA!I had the entire assy out in less than20 minutes! And I was right - 4 turns of the coil had worn clean through and had broken contact to the rest of thecoil. I was tempted to simply buy some #34 gaugecopper wire with enamel coating (it feels about 34 gauge) and simply wind the missing turns, butI was not sure ifthe orignal wire was actually a differenttype of wire (an alloy perhaps) to withstand the abusesit has to take. Anyone had this problem before? Is it common to RX7s? I have found many pre-1986's in local junk yards but the early ones do not seem to have the same access cover as mine, and I am also not sure if the coil would be the same? Are there any other Mazda cars out there that use the same coil? I am on a fixed income and do not have a lot of spare discretiionary spending money after all the bills are paid - so I am looking for the quickest low dollar fix that I can.

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks-
Tom

Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Default RE: fuel level sending unit

Not sure how you would be able to join the wires up even if they did match. Must be a certain resistance in the wire to allow fuel gauge signal voltage to change. New one is not too badly priced at $71.36 from onlinemazdaparts.com. If looking for a used one then 1986-1988 RX-7 all use the same sending unit.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM

I have the same problem with mine I tried splicing it back together but it only worked for a little while... not even a week. I think they might have just used wire that was too thin and didnt have enough resistance. I will try higher grade wire and let you know how it works out.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Wow, only 5 years later.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mazmart Trini
Wow, only 5 years later.
This is the issue when people don't post what was discovered, fixed ect. I also am on the realoldspower, and chevrolet forums, it's the same. Chevy forum requires membership to post. That is so they (probably the same here) to sell advertising.