Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Default exhaust

here is a new one i havent heard....ok if i have this correct my pre-cat, the one before the thing that connects to the y pipe, is leaking some kind of fluid that i believe is fuel. would this cause my car not to fire over?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Default RE: exhaust

Well smell it and make sure it is fuela and not oil or some other fluid. It may need ot be tightened or haf a gasket replaced, but one must wonder why fuel is in the echaust. I'm guessing, leaky injectors causes it to flood and get gas in the exhaust system, that or you are running way too rich. Also maybe something from the fuel rail is leaking onto the exhaust system and that would need ot be adressed right away (so your car doesn't prep itself for a Car-B.Q. when the fuel system is under pressure). Also further investigate the fluid to make sure it's fuel and not some other liquid. Good luck with everything.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:32 AM

i have smelled it and it is fuel and was wondering why it is doing it and how to fix it.... i really want this car to be on the road by the end of this week if possible.
Thanks 87,
-Smurf-

Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 PM

Check & make sure that it is not the Pulsation Dampner that is leaking & running down the exhaust. Those are notorious for leaking. If it is that, get it fixed ASAP.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:58 PM

what is the pulsation dampner and where is it located? how would i tell if this is the problem?
thanks fast7,
-Smurf-

Old 06-23-2006, 08:08 PM

How long have you been cranking over the engine with it not starting? If it has been awhile then you are probably just filling the exhaust with fuel because engine is flooded. If you are just cranking away and the injectors are squirting fuel with no ignition then all of this fuel gets shoved right out of the combustion chamber and into the exhaust system. Pull all four of your spark plugs and see if they are soaking wet with fuel. If they are you need to deflood your engine.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Deflooding procedure:
remove "ENG INJ" and "ENG COMP" fuses remove spark plugs and crank till fuel leaves the plug holes, then put some oil in the spark plug holes, reinstall spark plugs, reinstall fuses, and it should start up with ALOT of smoke. The smoke is no problem and should clear in 5 minuts of running

Old 06-24-2006, 12:26 AM

dude she is flooded like the mississippi river! i have been cranking her with the EGI COMP/EGI INJ. fusses out and plugs too for about 10 minutes and she is still spitting fuel outta the plug holes... however thanks for the info on the gas dumping into the exhaust thing, not SO worried now but I WANT HER TO RUN!
will keep you guys posted thanks for the info tho'.
-Smurf-
P.S. how much oil in the plug holes and what kind? i think i got 10w 30

Old 06-24-2006, 01:31 AM

Pulling the fuses that you did should shut the injectors down. Initially you should get a cloud of fuel vapor from under the hood as you crank but should diminish with the fuses out. Any type of oil will work. The problem is that the rotor housings are washed clean of sealing oil so compression is crap. Adding a bit of oil after deflooding should build compression up enough to get a start up. If plugs are too fouled they will sometimes not fire and a set of new ones will get her going. Are you still getting a lot of fuel vapor shooting out from the plug holes after cranking with fuses out??

Old 06-24-2006, 02:00 AM

the cloud has not yet diminished, but now i am blowing fuel out of 2 of the plug holes, before it was only 1...the leading holes(bottom ones). the plugs are brand new and i am still getting spark but she aint firing over. and a **** load of vapors still coming out...any ideas how long this will take?

Quick Reply: exhaust