Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:53 PM
joe
Default Can someone help?

i have a 1985 RX-7 and looking for web pages that will help me tune the motor. It is a 1.1 w/ carb. I am also having problems with it not idling. does any one out there have any info or ideas? thanks for all your help.

Joe

Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Can someone help?

What kind of idling problems are you having Joe? A basic tune is not much different than any other motor with plugs, cap, rotor, air and fuel filters etc. Do not know of web sites with tune information but is not any more difficult than any other engine.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:47 AM
joe

The engine runs fine but when I let off the gas it just dies. every time I ask someone at like an auto parts store I get a completely different response.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:11 PM

Maybe because there are numerous things that can cause a stall at idle and without looking at the vehicle it may be difficult to tell. The older 12A carbureted RX7 had problems with intake manifold gasket rupturing, carburetor flooding out due to stuck needle/seats in the float bowls, shutter valve diaphrams rupturing and causing vac leak, etc. Did this problem happen all of the sudden or was idle getting lower and lower until would stall? Any additional info that you can provide as to how and when and under what condition this happens and if anything was done to car before this started happening would certainly help. May be a simple as the idle screw has backed out or fallen out and you just don't have an idle stop for the throttle anymore. That is the first place I would start to check. If that is ok then try letting engine come down to an idle slowly and then spray a little carb clean into the carb opening to see if it will stay running while doing that.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 PM

www.rx7club.com has a wealth of talent and someone there can help you. They all seem to try to outdo each other at times to see who is the biggest A**hole. take a thick skin and ask your question in the 1st gen section and you will get some help. be careful and listen to multiple answere, some bad advice can be had along with the good.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:44 PM
joe

actually it was like this when i bought it.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:44 PM

So you have inherited a problem and have no idea what has been done in the past to try and fix it.[:'(] I hate when that happens. If you feel up to trying to figure out what the problem may be then I am sure the answer can be found. There is probably not a one solution answer to your no idle problem but we should be able to start eliminating things it is not until we find the problem. Vehicle is not difficult to work on.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:33 AM

There's a hose you should check. It's a pretty big vaccume hose that could be cracked. It goes from the air intake valve (?) to a large port on the back of the intake manifold. It attatches just above the exhaust manifold, so it's exposed to a lot of heat, and will crack at the bottom elbow. I'll try to find a pic of the hose.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:38 AM

It's the hose outlined in red. I would start with that, and replace it if it's cracked on the bottom side. You may have to remove it to see the crack.
Name:  09-02-05_1614.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  20.4 KB

Old 10-16-2005, 05:52 AM

Forgot to mention that one bstrange99. that is a very common one also. Good picture showing the problem hose.

Quick Reply: Can someone help?