Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

90 RX7 stutters at half to WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Default 90 RX7 stutters at half to WOT

Hi ya'll. my freind is the one owner or a 90 RX7 non turbo 13B with M/T & 46K. he had the fuel pump replaced about 6 months ago, it needed a new alt. & was stuttering on acceleration, the check engine light gave a bad tps code. I replaced the alt. the tps and all the vacuum lines. no improvment. he had a guy, dont know who, that told him to use a pair of needle nose vise grips to pinch down, but not off, the fuel line feeding from the pulsation dampener to the secondary fuel rail opposite the preasure regulator. it helped but it aint no cure. am about to get fuel all over my hands checkin the fuel line preasure & the regulator unless this problem sound familiar to ya'll and ya aim me in another direction. any ideas?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Default RE: 90 RX7 stutters at half to WOT

ok, FYI. first, clear al DTCs, pull the 60 amp BTN fuse and hold the brake for 5 sec.at idle it will not show any code, drive it a bit & 27 metering oil pump is the only code thast comes up. explanation for the stuttering is the fuel mixtures goes rich and timming becomes fixed when the computer goes into fail safe, that combined with the lack of lube. the vise grips helped because it leaned the fuel. Now, I need a metering oil pump for a 91 which should be a revised unit & not prone to the problem this one has. sound plausable? waitin to hear from anyone...............

Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Wellpers, guess ya'll aint got none sittin on a shelve in the shop. Good thing I found 2 for sale & my son who owns a mazda truck on air (Got switches?) and 2 89 RX7's one is a tricked out twin turbo and the other is a parts doner, gonna check it out tomorrow. I knew about the truck, he traded a S10 on juice for it, but the way he wheels & deals in shaved & lowered rides, didn't know about the 7's till i was talkin to him on the phone & whinnin about how tight lipped the mazda folks were that i have tried to talk to.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Sometimes, no help is the best help of all. Looks likeI came to the right place.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Ok, for those who might care. it was the metering oil pump. got 2 off ebay, so now I have a spare (for sale? maybe.) and 2 complete sets of those very fragile plastic lines. Now the car runs very well, thank you for askin. To be honest, and this is commin from an old school mopar maniac, it don't set ya back in the seat like a 440 six pack cuda' but the car is impressingly fast! Do these WANKLES even know what a redline is?Oh yea, if ya'll want to check out my boy's twin turbo RX7 or his slammed, shaved & bagged 88 B2000 the shop he works at is, D & D Kustoms.com. his name is Chris and he took home 3 trophies, including best in show,from a car show they had here in Atlanta the weekend befor Labor Day weekend.
Wellpers, unless somethin new comes up with the car, (I am so glad it is finally outta my garage!)I will probably be in the garage wrenchin,instead of chattin about my friends RX7 with ya'll. till next time, keep the shinny side up and the greasy side down! happy motorin and to all my 4x4 brothers, TREAD LIGHTLY! the next off road trail removed from public use could be YOUR favorite.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM

k i got just a lil confused with those paragraphs...i kinda stopped reading lol. my old GXL would feel like it had no power in the low and mid range, it would spit n spudder then just tare off lol...it turned out to be my spark plugs....shoulda seen the ****, or lack there of. haha...Its worth a try to check em out