Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

vss problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Default vss problem

hello everyone. my hold light has been goin off for a while now and gave me a code 6 which is the vehicle speed sensor. i was told it was built into the speedometer so, i pulled it out of the car and pulled it apart. the only thing i saw was a couple of wires, diodes and the mile counter. did not see anything that resembled a sensor. cant even find it online for that year. does anyone know where this thing is or a picture of what it looks like? i have a 1992 protegeLX 1.8L D.O.H.C.. thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Based on general information, the VSS is located on/in the transmission where a speedo cable would have been in past years. Its what senses the speed of the vehicle based on trans revs and sends that signal to the ECU.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM

hey. i just wanted to show everyone what i mean when i said i could not find it in the cluster. there is a sensor screwed into the side of the trans. but, dont know if that is it or not. i got a print out from alldata and that says it is in the cluster. i dont know. a couple parts stores say they dont even have a listing for a vss for a 1992! not even the dealer! so, i can try a salvage yard just as soon as i know what i am looking for. does anyone know where this thing is?thanks. iName:  013-1.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  38.5 KB