Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

tuner question

Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Default tuner question

I'm not going to lie this mazda car is the most gutless thing i have ever driven its getting to the point my girlfriend can't pass anyone on the highway cause she might not make the gap so i decided im going to rebuild a motor for her, the goal on the block is get a 2.0L now my question is, is there a 2.0 that will fit in a 2000 mazda protege and that will also work with the stock automatic tranny, if not i will get another 1.8L and bore it out to a 2.0L there will be also forged pistons and piston rods, new cam shafts with bigger valves and adjustable cam gears, and we are going to run the msd ingnition system, and depending on how much time and work i feel like putting into it, we might throw a bigger crank shaft into it. If anyone can tell me where i can get a 2.0L motor that will work with the stock tranny that would be appriciated if not ill just go buy another 1.8L. Thank you for your input

Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Darkstar4100,

The 1.8 litre motor you have in the Protege gets around 122hp 120 ftlbs torque and the the 2.0 liter that I have in my 06 Mazda3 gets around 156hp 150 ftlbs torque. I don't know if the automatic you have will mate up to a 2.0 litre block but if it does it seems like alot of work and expense. If it where me I would see what condition your engine is in, it is nine years old and has some wear and tear on it maybe it needs a rebuild.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:49 AM

yeah its really at the point that it needs alot more power than what it has my daily driver is my 2010 hyundai genesis and if we can't figure out what to do with this car we are going to go buy another genesis and sell the protege, and the car is at about 70,000 km so it doesn't even have enough km's on it to even have the timeing belt done. we were thinking about turboing it but aftermarket turbo's are really sketchy there usually followed by alot of problems and i was thinking about a supercharger but there hard to find. Like i know the car doesn't have alot of power to begin with but i was just thinking as a project putting a rebuilt motor in it, really it all comes down to if the car is worth keeping should i put a new motor in it to gain more horsepower, even an ecu tune-up could be in question to squeeze more power out.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
tye

My buddy has a 2.0L Protege and it kills my 97. I think if you had the complete swap engine/tranny and all other components including the computer it would deffiantly be worth it. Drive it for a month or two and then think about turbo?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM

the 2.0l out of the later model proteges will mate right up to the 1.8l trans. you will need to go with new engine management though.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 PM

look, if you want serios power and willing to work with what you have....... get a rotary engine and tranny and don't forget upgraded haft- shafts to handle the increased torque. A little engine bay mods and you will have HP to spare. A sleeper until you leave the line. there are easier ways to get more HP , but just the look on the faces of people would be satisfying.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Rotary install on a protege would be a lot of work and a lot of money. Also, the rotary is not known to have a lot of torque. Mostly just top-end power.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM
tye

lol a rotary engine would be so much work. what about an EVO engine in one haha sleek or what?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM

no i would never do a rotery if somthing goes wrong where i live no one is athorized to fix it so would have to tow it 150km to get it fixed and with the rotery i think you would have to re-wire the engine harness which would be alot of work i would love to put an rb25 straight 6 skyline motor but i don't think it would fit lol, after the body work is done i think we are selling it

Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tye
My buddy has a 2.0L Protege and it kills my 97. I think if you had the complete swap engine/tranny and all other components including the computer it would deffiantly be worth it. Drive it for a month or two and then think about turbo?
I think a 1500 dollar bolt on supercharger would be the way to go if you want a extra 100bhp but then comes bigger brakes and so on its up to you. listen a few parts like cold air intake ,supercharger,exuast,would be cheaper than a new motor...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tuner question