Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Tires, short shifter, and body shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Default Tires, short shifter, and body shop?

Anyone have Falken ZE912 tires? I bought a set a while ago, and don't really like them. They're OK on dry roads, but I noticed a lot more tireflex while driving than the stock tires or the Toyo set I had on previously. These ZE912s are pretty bad in the rain, and if it snows, forget about it! After the snow has cleared out a bit here in MD, I'm heading out to get some new tires. Any recommendations? I forget what the stock tires were, but they seemed like great tires... Never noticed an issue in the snow with those.

I have a B&M Short Throw shifter, but I had an issue installing it and ended up stretching out the two rubber rings that go around the pivot ball housing on the shifter. I also tore my lower dust boot. Anyone know where I can get replacements for either of those things?

And, if anyone else is in the Baltimore area, can you recommend a good body shop? Due to the tires, and the recent snow from Tuesday, I had a nice run-in with a guard rail on Tuesday night, and have a few scratches and a little denting around the front passenger wheel well that I want to get straightened out. I've been driving for 16 years now... Never had an issue in the snow. Then I get these Falken tires, and hello guard rail....

Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the 912's are not the best. I had 512's for a while and liked them until they got some wear. Then they went bad pretty fast, and quickly too. Forget the 400 treadwear rating. It doesn't mean much.
The 912's are heavier than the 512's, and have "a better ride" which won't do much for the handling either. I am surprised that they are not good in the rain or snow though. On those fronts they are supposed to be improved over the 5 series?

Tires are often subjective... based on your vehicle, driving style and conditions. Plus (and though) I myself do a lot of research come new tire time, have found it to be a crap-shoot in any case. Sometimes you wins, and sometimes you loses. Try some different pressures in the 912's before giving up on them. Maybe 3-5 more psi up front and 2-3 more out back. Experiment a bit and you might be surprised how much (or how little) it can help.

As far as the shifter parts are concerned, I'm not too sure myself, but wsoape might be able to help you there. He is on his second(?) P5 and I don't know how many RX's he's had also?