Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Suspension/Engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 AM
Default Suspension/Engine mods

What are the best racing oriented springs offered formid 90'sProtege?

Also what is the best mod to make one handle better? Do the aftermarket swaybars really make much of a difference? What is the best bang for the buck as far as cornering goes?

And last but not least what are some of the best engine mods with the engine still looking and sounding close to stock?

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: Suspension/Engine mods

that is all a matter of taste. personally, i like the tokico shocks wrapped in tein springs. sway bars do make a difference in the oversteer of the car. also a strut tower brace will reduce the body roll. i don't know if they make rear strut tower braces for your year, but those would help. as far as engine mods go, you will change the look and sound of your car with just about anything that you do. basics would be intake, header, and exhaust.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Any mild cams offered for 94 1.8?

Deck the head and up the compression, port the head? The bolt on **** (intake, header, ect.)really doesn't cut it anyway the hp/$$ ratio really sucks.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM

if you mill the head or block, you will be raising the compression slightly, so if you want to go turbo in the future, that will probably be a bad idea, unless the head is warped or the block is scored. i would port and polish everything that you can and add an intake, header, exhaust, stuff like that. there are some cam options that you could look into. you can check out www.corksport.com to see what they have. also www.horsepowerfreaks.com . i recommend the j-spec cams with adjustable cam gears. they are kind of mild and the gears will let you tune and tweak the power. a set of stiff motor mounts will get rid of the wheel hop and stiffen up the suspension some.

if you want real power, you should rebuild the motor to drop the compression and strengthen the internals and get the motor ready for turbo. that is an expensive way to go but it will definitely add the horsepower that you want. let me know if you need any help on what you need to order to start the rebuild.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM

I can't turbo the car or use any "bolt on" mods, they have to appear stock to be able to race in the class I do. Its a box stock 4cly class at a local circle track. I think messing with the cams/head is the best bet for me now. Even if it idles funny they wont notice, most cars in the class sound like crap anyway.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 PM

i would port and polish the head and intake too. you can also pull off the catalytic converters and take a broom handle and knock the cat out of them. that will open up the exhaust a little and add a little power without making it too loud

Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM

The converter is long gone, the exaust comes out the side just infront of the right side tire. The head is where it's at I guess.

Back to the swaybar I just ordered one, is it gonna be a big help? It looks like a pain in the *** to put on!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM

it shouldn't be that hard to put it on. just pay attention when you pull it.