Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Stubborn electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Default Stubborn electrical problems

If anyone has a suggestion I would certainly appreciate your help.
I have a long list of problems that have occurred over the past year that point to an electrical problem. My dealer has been unable to solve it.

Recent problem: This set of symptoms has occurred twice in the past six months.
Radio fuse blows at the same time the solenoid that locks out accidental shifting fails and I have to use the manual override to get into park.
When the solenoid fails acceleration is also sluggish. (What is the relationship between the lock-out and acceleration?)
The second time this happened the AT light started flashing.

My airbag keeps flashing the code that indicates airbag failure. The first time it was an electrical problem and the dealer was able to fix it.
The second time this happened a few months later two dealers told me it was the airbag module. After replacement the light stopped flashing for a few days. After going over a bump on the highway the light started flashing again. It would go on/off with each set of bumps. Eventually it turned to solid flashing of the 2-6 code. The dealer was unable to find the cause of this problem.

The first set of symptoms about 18 months ago was when my car wouldn't start. AAA came to jump it but that didn't work. The driver did some checking around and found that the add-on alarm system was causing the problem. We disconnected and removed that part of the system and it jump-started just fine. 30 minutes later the battery and everything electrical died. After a new battery the system seems o.k.

The only other symptom is that one of the headlamps needed replacing twice.

If you have no suggestions but know of somebody who is really good at repairing electrical issues in the Baltimore/DC area that would also help.