Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Struts are gone. What do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Default Struts are gone. What do?

I have to replace all four struts. I work for an auto parts store, so i can get good prices on OE replacements and such, but if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get some performance as well.

What are some good bang for the buck struts?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM

The original ones come from KYB, You cannot go wrong with those.
I have heard the Chinese made Sensens are also decent, they use Japanese seals and some compare them to KYB's. For perfomance shocks, look at Tokico shocks.

Since my 99 Protege ES has high miles, I went to the junkyard and got some from a low mileage wreck from a 2003 Protege.
The later struts do fit the front for the older models, the links do need to replaced with the longer ones from a later model.

Last edited by blknblu; 03-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM

I actually went with these super cheap Staggs:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I came across two forum threads with mostly positive things to say. And I'm broke, so we'll see. I got Tein S Techs to go with.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

TOKICO's!! Had a set in my auto-Xer/Road Rallying Honda Civic years ago and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I loved 'em, as you can probably tell.
They rode well on the street but handled excellently too. (Is that a real word? I don't know...)

Maw, your cheap shocks and the S-Tech's will probably fight each other and the shocks will lose in the end. S-
Tech are a 1.8" drop which put the shocks designed for stock ride height at a disadvantage. They will blow out in short order.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-26-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

TOKICO's!! Had a set in my auto-Xer/Road Rallying Honda Civic years ago and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I loved 'em, as you can probably tell.
They rode well on the street but handled excellently too. (Is that a real word? I don't know...)

Maw, your cheap shocks and the S-Tech's will probably fight each other and the shocks will lose in the end. S-
Tech are a 1.8" drop which put the shocks designed for stock ride height at a disadvantage. They will blow out in short order.
Dang... Are you sure they are designed for stock ride height? I thought I read of many people using the Stagg/Tein combo....

Here is one thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...S-struts/page6

Last edited by maw230; 03-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

No, I'm sorry. I'm really not familair with them. But based on how you described them in your post I ***-U-MED they were considered OE replacements in which case there might be trouble in the long run.
I apologize for not researching better first. Life, especially this week (INVENTORY week at my regular job... and I am a department manager!!!) doesn't afford me a lot of extra time for it any more.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

No, I'm sorry. I'm really not familair with them. But based on how you described them in your post I ***-U-MED they were considered OE replacements in which case there might be trouble in the long run.
I apologize for not researching better first. Life, especially this week (INVENTORY week at my regular job... and I am a department manager!!!) doesn't afford me a lot of extra time for it any more.
Ha, no worries. Had me a bit scared though

Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Again, apologies.
I try to answer as many posts as I can and am able. Suspension is usually one of my favorite subjects, especially since modern cars don't take well to basic or seat-of-the-pants engine mods, suspension and handling/braking are things you can do with some experience and research.
Oh, what I could do with a little cyl head, porting and polishing, carburetor jet changes and distributor advance changes would have impressed. But these days you have to be a rocket scientist and computer science major to figure out how to get it right. I am neither. I've owned and driven a lot of underpowered cars in my day so handling and braking were ways to compensate for a lack of power. Hey, it worked for Lotus for many, many YEARS!! Why not?
Unfortunately in this case I tried to read into your post rather than research for myself and failed.

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!