Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Starting problem - no turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Default Starting problem - no turn over

I have 1998 protege LX, and the car intermitantly will not turn over after long periods of parking; usually overnight. This is what I do:

1) I get in the car
2) press the clutch pedal
3) Turn the ignition key and NADA...no enging turn over, just a clicking sound. All other electrics turn on and do not fade out.
4) I sit there for a couple of minutes, holding the clutch pedal pushed in and the key in ignition position. Then, suddenly the car will turn over and start normally.

This started happening when the weather got colder, and happens every cold morning; during the day it either starts right away, or will have a few seconds delay.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Default RE: Starting problem - no turn over

First places I would look at is your battery and your starter. DUH!!! Talk about stating the obvious. How old is your battery? You might want to get it tested at battery shop. They can test the cold cranking amps. If this is even a little low, it can cause issues. You might be warming the battery just enough with the first go around.

Starter, the solenoid may be sticking in the cold weather. If you have never changed the starter before, it is due...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM

First of all, thank you for the reply MazdaES.
I checked the battery first thing this morning and the voltage is fine @ 12.5. The night before I parked the car in the garage overnight and it started fine the next morning; I'm starting to that think you are right about the solenoid sticking in the cold weather. Anyway I would like to go ahead an replace it myself, do you know if it's hard? Is there a DIY guide for this anywhere? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM

To remove the starter, you must remove the air cleaner and front three way catalytic converter. I think you will have to remove the intake manifold bracket also. It is easier if you have a 1.5l. 1.8l is very tight. Before you go that way, the shop manual recomends that the battery be changed when the voltage is at 12.4 V. You are really close to what they want you to change it at. How old is it?? The best thing to get is a MAZDA factory shop manual. Here's a link for one on EBAY. Make sure you get the wiring diagram also. You'll save thousands with this book. Don't buy the chilton and haynes books, they are useless.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWD1V

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM

The problem is solved, however it cost me an unnecessary replacement of the starter motor After replacing it, the problem still remained; I was pissed! [:@] Anyway, I decided to take a look at the Ignition Switch. Once taking it apart, which was easier than i expected, I came to find that it was excessively filled with grease and dirt and the contacts were barely visible. Some paper towels and some electrical cleaner later, the thing was squeeky clean. Put it all back together and voila! now the car starts as good as new. However, for some reason the battery died on me while I was working on it ( I did disconnect it first), friend's car and some jumper cables revived it again.
Thanks again for the help MazdaES. You were right about the Haynes manual, it i useless. I picked one up to help get to the ignition switch and instructions on any necessary precautions, and the diagrams and screws locations were all from an older model and did not reflect what my car had [:'(]

Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Well, keep the old as a spare, since they tend to go at the worst times, like when you are broke. I've never seen excessive grease on any japanese ignitions, it usually is the opposite. That must have been one made by Ford...

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM

It's a Mazda part....

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM

lol...