Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Radio wiring please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Default Radio wiring please help

I wired up my new radio the way the old one was wiried up. but i guess i still didnt do it right. whenever you turn the headlights on the tail light fuse blows. i tried all kinds of different wiring patterns. i guess theres just one i havent tried yet. i got so frusterated i just gave up until i get a diagram of the factorys wire colors to the new radio's wires.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Default RE: Radio wiring please help

by the way its a 1994 model

Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Have you tried http://www.installdr.com/They have a lot of useful info on installing radios including wiring info. I had a similar problem with my 94 protege and it helped me wire my radio correctly. Unfortunately I never figured out why the tail light fuse kept blowing.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 PM

What did you do with the wire that is Red with a Black stripe in the radio harness. This wire provided voltage to the old radio when lights were turned on so that the radio buttons would be illuminated. Thisgets power thru theTAIL fuse which also provides the powerformarker/tail lights as well as dashboard illumination. Most aftermarket audio units are lit all of the time so this wire would not normally be used and should just be taped off so it cannot short to ground on a metal part of the dash.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Hbabyhuey, I was wondering if you can help me out with something. "I own an 02' Mazda Protege5, for almost two months now I went without a radio, it's not that I dont have one, it's that I do not know the wiring of in the car. I have a pioneer after market deck and it shows what wire is the right speaker, the left, etc. but Im confused about the Mazda wire itself. Well to make this short. I was wondering if you know about the wires in the MP5. Like whats the blue wire for, or the red wire.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Maybe a good project for this weekend so you can have some radio again MzdaP5. Here goes with wire colors and what they go to in the factory harness.

Black......................................Ground wire
Blue with Red stripe..............12 volts all the time or unswitched power in
Pink with Black stripe............12 volts only when key is on or switched power in
Black with Red stripe.............Left front speaker ( + )
Black with White stripe..........Left front speaker ( - )
Red..........................................Right front speaker ( + )
White.......................................Right front speaker ( - )
Brown with White stripe........Left rear speaker ( + )
Brown......................................Left rear speaker ( - )
Green.......................................Right rear speaker ( + )
Green with Orange stripe........Right rear speaker ( - )
Light Green with Black stripe...12 volts with lights on only
White with Blue stripe............Ground side of audio illumination wire above

The last two will probably not be used as most aftermarket audio units are illuminated all the time so just make sure that both wires are separated and insulated with electrical tape so as not to get grounded out on metal part of dash. If they are shorted together or allowed to ground on dash then TAIL fuse will blow and you will loose dash lights as well as exterior marker lights.

Have fun wiring in your new Pioneerdeck

Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Scosche.com makes a connector that you can wire to you Pioneer radio to connect it to your Mazda wiring harness. It is part number MA03RB. It sells for $15. That way you save your original harness in case you want to put a factory radio in afterwards.

Good Luck...

Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks babyhuey and mazdaES!