Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Protege' Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Default Protege' Issues

My '97 LX has gone over the 200,000 mile mark, but it has been behaving rather strangely. About two months ago, we had to get the distributor changed and at first it was running normally. But a week later, it started jerking while driving. There were times when the engine idle was higher than it shoud be, but that seems to have worked itself out. There are times when the engine idle falls below 750 rpm and rapidly jumps up above that but then falls again. When pressing the gas after coming to a stop, it tends to do that jerking thing agian (it's kind of hard to describe, but it's almost like a "stutter"). We have taken it to our garage and they can't find any thing that is wrong, but they did experience these same things when they test drove it. I have no clue what's up with our car.

I also have another question regarding changing transmission fluid. I have not been religious about changing it and have been considering changing it recently. Our mechanic does not reccommed doing so as it may "shock" the transmission and could cause problems. Is this true?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Default RE: Protege' Issues

I can't be of more help on the engine problem, but I can comment on the trans question. It is true about changing the fluid. If you do not have it changed on a regular basis, changing the fluid is taking a gamble whether it will help or hinder it. If your fluid is still red in color and does not have a burnt smell, it might be okay. But if it brownish and smells old, I would leave it alone. If you want to service the trans, it is best to go with a complete fluid flush. I used to do these on a regular basis with good results to most cars and trucks. BG is a company that has a great service kit for a flush. It must be done at a shop though. This company also makes great additives for the rest of the car too.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 PM

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it for myself. We just had an oil change and they inspected the fluid and they said it was "poor".

Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Does the Protege have the 1.5l of the 1.8l engine. Both have had quite a few problems with ignition missfire problems due to failing spark plug wires. Were the plugs and wires changed along with the distributor?

Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 PM

I have an LX (1.5L). We took it back to the shop and the new distriubutor failed. It was replaced (free) and we went ahead did a tune up too so the spark plugs and wires are new. So far, the car is operating normally. We actually have POWER (well considering it only has 92hp anyway) and there is none of the jerking and hesitation from before. It's been five days and so far, so good.