Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Protege alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Default Protege alignment problem

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege DX, with roughly 46k (so still under factory warranty). The car has had a problem with pulling to the right since I bought it. At first I assumed it was drift, but after two major blowouts on long road trips I'm sure it's more than drift.
Both blow outs have been the front passenger side tire. During the last blowout of the front passenger side, I checked the driver's side front and it was starting to come apart, but not flat.

I have had the car aligned six times since purchase, at local auto repair shops and at the local Mazda dealer. Each time I have seen the computer print out from the alignment device and it was in spec. after the alignment, but still pulled to the right and every place keeps telling me that it's drift or the "crown" of the road or some combination of the two.

I bought the car from a dealership a hundred miles away (Phoenix) that really has been a pain to deal with and the sales manager actually told me use Arizona's lemon law becuase they don't want to do anything beside align it. The local Mazda dealership in Tucson has been more helpfull and aligned the car twice, which made the car pull less, but again keep telling me that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car. The local dealer has been more proactive about the problem, but does not seem interested beyond throwing the car up on the alignment device.

Other than that the last time the tires were rotated (45k) the tech said the front tires were showing wear signs that the alignment was off. The local dealership realigned the car, and the car still pulls right.

When I bought the car new it had 1,200 miles. It has not been in a collision since I've owned it, I don't run over curbs and avoid potholes.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpfull.