Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

PRO 5 FD-DE burning coils and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Default PRO 5 FD-DE burning coils and misfire

Hey protege fam!

I have some issues with my engine constantly misfiring, and I've come to see if any of you perhaps have experienced this before.

When I start it and let it idle it seems fine, but once I start driving it, it starts misfiring and only runs on two cylinders. It doesnt idle has it did earlier either, it idles a bit rougher now even when cold.

The car stood still for almost a year for rust repairs and all of these issues started once I fired it up and were to start using it again.

I've gotten several codes, one for misfiring and two Co2 sensors. I changed one Co2 sensor but both codes kept popping up so I figure theres something else causing it.

After driving it for the first time one of the coils caught fire. So I changed it for a used one that worked fine on another car with the same engine. Same thing, only now the other old coil had swollen quite a bit and were extremely hot to touch.

So this has went on for 3 seperate coils but I can't figure out whats causing it.

Also, for what its worth the average fuel consumption "gauge" has displayed 999 L/100km so for some reason the car gets told it uses a ton of fuel.

I highly appreciate any input! Thanks guys!

Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

How old is the fuel that's in it? If its still the old fuel from a year ago, dump it.

R&R both coils with brand new ones,( not ones over 10yrs old)
R&R HT leads.
R&R all 4 spark plugs.
Disconnect Battery for a few hours, start it up, let it idle for a few minutes & go from there.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM

I fueled up the car with new fuel recently, I've also changed the spark plugs. The weird thing is that it burns up every coil I replace in matter of a couple of minutes on the road.

Yesterday I cleaned off all the grounding points to eliminate grounding being the problem.

After that I took it for a ride and it worked like CHARM! Ran and pulled just like it did before, I super were stoked until I parked it and tried to move it 5 minutes later. I tried to move it a few feet and then it stalled. I popped the hood and the new coils had bubbled up a bit and were impossible to even touch because of the heat!

So of course now I thought it were the grounding being bad and it weren't getting good enough of it, so I took a huge grounding strap from bare metal on the chassis to the engine.

So for some reason it either tells the coils to ignite more than they are supposed to which makes them super hot, or it still suffers from bad grounding.

But then again, why did it run and pull like it used to and then all of the sudden start stalling and make the coils super hot again.

Is this a known problem whatsoever?