Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

O/D (over drive) Light blinking what could be the problem 2002 protege 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Default O/D (over drive) Light blinking what could be the problem 2002 protege 5

I just purchased a 2002 mazda protege 5 auto trans The overdrive light keeps blinking, most of the time someimes it doesnt, but when it is blinking i feel harder shirts in the tranny and higher rpm is it a sensor problem or something more should i ge a rebuilt transmition please help, and what would it cost me to fix this prob

Old 01-14-2010, 03:43 PM

i have the same problem what could it be??????????

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 PM

blinking O/D light could indicate tranny prob. Any CEL? You just purchased car? how long ago? Was it a car dealer or or other? There are lemon laws , don't get too deep into this until you know all the options.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Default O/D off light

My 01 Protege ES is doing the same thing too, apparently its a pretty common problem with proteges. I just registered here looking for an answer but I thought I'd share what I know so far. I have done some intense yahoo research and narrowed it down to the shift solenoid E or transmission temperature sensor. It's probably not a mechanical problem with the transmission itself (whew!) Get it scanned asap to get the OBD codes, but you'll need a scanner that reads tranny codes (autozone's don't) and stored codes if it's not acting up at the time. We both need to get it fixed soon though, running at high rpms can be rough on the motor. Hope this helps, I'll keep ya'll updated.
Let me know if you got yours fixed

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Default Tranny Issues

I have the same issues, OD light on, check engine light on, has the lower gears but it slips.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Wow it's been awhile! I fixed my issue shortly after my last post, but I signed up for so may forums lookin for an answer I forgot to post my solution here. My bad! Anyway, It turned out to be the INPUT speed sensor. Its located on the top of the tranny and super easy to DIY (if your able to do it youself I'd recommend you do cuz a shop will probably tell you to bend over n buy a new tranny). I think the senor was around $35, sorry I dont remember which website I ordered from, and took about 5-10 minutes to switch out. Basically It tells the transmission when to shift based on your speed, when it failes the car goes into "limp mode" to prevent damage (which is why you only have low gear). That should be your fix, Again, so sorry for not posting this sooner, good luck

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Exclamation same

I had the same problem, i got it checked for the OBD codes and I replaced the TPS(Throttle positioning sensor). It worked out Great! Well, that was my fix for that problem. The TPS sensor is worht 140 Bucks but I got it at a junkyard for like 10.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 PM

im having the same problem.. overdrive light is flashing

Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 PM

tonight my 02 protege es AT light was blinking while i was on the highway in cruise, then all the sudden in went into a lower gear? then the at light went of then back into the proper gear? what's happening?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 AM

the transmission is stuck in safe mode... either its bad or on the way

Quick Reply: O/D (over drive) Light blinking what could be the problem 2002 protege 5