Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Default no start

This is not a question for weekend warriors. Vehicle is an australian 323 protege. 9/98 1.8 dohc. Vehicle cranks but will not start. No spark and no injection pulse. When tested with an oscilliscope there is power at the crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor, coil input, power side of injectors. When cranking the crank angle and Camshaft AC sine wave signals arrives at the ECU. I suspect the problem is in the immobiliser or the ECU. I donot know how to go about proving this or how to diagnose this problem. Anybody got any clues or even how the AC dual signals from the crank angle sensor operate in theory. Would love to know. Excert from a genuine workshop manual would be nice too. Probably dreaming.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM

76 views thanks for looking guys. C.mon now one of you gurus must know something. Think of it as a challenge

Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Well I have worked out what was wrong for those who are interested. The Timing belt had jumped nearly 120 degrees. The engine sounded like normal, compression wise, while cranking but because the Crank signals and the cam signal was being sent at such different times to each other to the computer, the computer decided to withhold activating of injection and spark. Once I realized and retimed the belt properly, the spark and injection miraculously returned. Thanks for all those who looked at my post and spent the time thinking about it.