Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

new to mazdai

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Default new to mazdai

Today I bought a 2001 Mazda protege with the 1.6l and 78k miles. It has been turbod and is running 10lbs of boost and has a act clutch. It's pretty quick little car. I'm really happy with it. I am however in need of a tune it is running really rich, any suggestions.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned
Arrow

I am glad you mentioned your car is turbo charged.
Believe it or not, with leaks from the intercooler your air fuel ratios (AFR) will be richer. I think you may have a boost leak that needs fixing. I am going to quote from another site:

I found several leaks coming from bad welds. Post-turbo leaks will make your AFR richer than target, and even though this won't damage your car, it's far from optimal and you will not be able to fine tune WOT AFR. I target an AFR of 11.6:1. Was seeing 11.3, 11.2.

My car was pulling just fine. Finally made a tester and what do you know... A boost leak. From now on I'm going to test for a leak every oil change.

anyone who owns a boosted car should periodically do boost leak check regardless of modded or stock.

Attached Thumbnails new to mazdai-stickeradds15hp.jpg   new to mazdai-turbolag1.jpg   new to mazdai-turbolag2.jpg   new to mazdai-slowpeople.jpg