Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

MAF problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Default MAF problems?

Alright so I'm pretty set on putting an aftermarket intake in which is either gonna be the injen CAI thanks to rolojo81 and his nice find or the weapon r SRI. Now all I want toknow before i go ahead and buy iswhat are the details on the MAF problems associated with installing the aftermarket intakes on proteges? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Default RE: MAF problems?

[sm=lame.gif]..LOL.. An intake on a protege..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 AM

Haha go #$^% yourself what do you drive a civic or a neon ya ignorant piece of %$#@. Why's that so funny to you?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 AM

I'd rather see it on a mazda then on a hyundai or cavalier!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM

hahaecotecs are actually pretty pretty fast especially when you throw in the ShiftPlus. But this isn't the point of this thread. Anyone, info on the MAF problems?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM

This is NOT the place for politics! I'm a political junky with plenty of opinions on all kinds of candidates, office holders and issues. I also think people need to be more politically involved. HOWEVER, this forum is about Mazdas, NOT politics. I think we should keep it that way.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: protegedon

This is NOT the place for politics! I'm a political junky with plenty of opinions on all kinds of candidates, office holders and issues. I also think people need to be more politically involved. HOWEVER, this forum is about Mazdas, NOT politics. I think we should keep it that way.
[align=left] [/align]
I would assume you are talking to me...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Where was there discussion of politics? Haha Ecotec is the enigne in Cavy's? And I didn't turn it that way idiots making ignorant posts did I'm just looking for input on the MAF problems.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 PM

you shouldn't really have any maf problems with an intake install. the main thing that you need to look for is a place for the VSS to plug back into the intake. it is just a little round thing that has a plastic post on the end of it and it fits into a hole on the stock intake. if there isn't a hole for it, that is no big deal. you can just let it hang down.

the injen CAI inducts from inside the bumper on the driver's side and you may need to relocate the coolant tank. i had to on my injen for my 2.0 anyways. any SRI will not require you to relocate anything, but will cause the intake temperatures to be a little higher. that's only a bad thing if you live somewhere that the outside temperatures get higher than about 95-100 degrees. i live in houston where the heat index gets up to 130 in the summer, so a SRI wouldn't be a good idea for me.

a large diameter SRI operating in nominal temps will give you more horsepower than a CAI. that statement is bound to spark a lot of debate, but i am going to say it anyways because it is true. the basic idea of that is the SRI moves the air in a much straighter and direct pattern, and since air has mass,it moves faster in a straight line with less restriction (just like anything else that has mass and some things that don't).

Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I've heard many people saying they get check engine lights from aftermarket intakes with proteges because, for lack of a better explanation, theres too much air entering the engine? haha. whats this about the vss and what is that exactly?

Quick Reply: MAF problems?