Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Leaking coolant from where exactly?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Default Leaking coolant from where exactly?

Hy guys. I have a problem with my 1995 Z5 Protege with 103400 miles.
I smelled coolant today when i got out of my car. I looked under it and saw it dripping from the passenger side. I then started looking where it was coming from and after finding out that it wasn't coming from any of the coolant hoses and the radiator i then removed that plastic cover underneath the car and got under it.
I started the car and waited to see where it was coming from. It is not coming from the water pump, but a bit further towards the firewall about 4 inches. It seems to be coming from the oil dipstick area and from behind that pulley.
Please check out the picture on the link i have provided and give me your ideas. It seems to be coming down from the places shown with red arrows. Could it be that i have a blown head gasket? If you have a blown head gasket then is it normal for the car to leak coolant as well?
It does not overheat or leak oil at all, just leaks coolant from a lower part of the engine.
Any help is much appreciated.
http://www.zone.ee/pleiadean/coolant%20leak.JPG?2

Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Leaking coolant from where exactly?

Here is another picture to show that the upper side oht the engine is dry.
http://www.zone.ee/pleiadean/water%20pump.JPG?2

Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM

Would not rule out the water pump yet Estlander as coolant can sometimes take the strangest paths. The only other thing I can think of in that area would be the Lower hose connecting pipe. The lower radiator hose connects to this pipe and there is a gasket between it and the water pump. There is also a long pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold and around the engine to the heater hose that is sealed with an 'o' ring into this lower hose connecting pipe that can leak. Drawing below will show better than I can explain. Connecting pipe is labeled #1 and gasket/'o' ring in question are pointed to with an R.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C816AABD0D4B4F08801B9CBFFD655D59.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2006, 02:23 AM

Yes, i checked it out a bit better and also had it pressure tested and it turned out that it most likely is the water pump.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 AM

Hi just buy some rad sealer from rislone dump it into rad and it will seal it as long as the leak isnt really big. I had same issue with leaky water pump..I used liquid alumininum works great.....good luck

Old 02-25-2017, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

No, don't dump in radiator sealer, it's the worst possible SH*T you can add to the cooling system.

Pressure test the cooling system, locate the exact source of the leak, repair it, replace the coolant & continue your happy motoring.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
No, don't dump in radiator sealer, it's the worst possible SH*T you can add to the cooling system.

Pressure test the cooling system, locate the exact source of the leak, repair it, replace the coolant & continue your happy motoring.
all depends on how long ur keeping car I've used the sealer in 2 protégés and no problem....If ur really worried after it seals leak dump out coolant and replace with new coolant....Cheaper than riping apart part of motor,timing belt etc

Last edited by Blader; 02-27-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling