Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Improving horse power.... 1.6 litre 2001 model

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 10:01 AM
Default Improving horse power.... 1.6 litre 2001 model

What is the best and cheapest way to improve horse power.. also where is my cars model type on my 323 protege 2001

Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 AM

Probably the best way would be to buy different car.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Really? Go a little easier on member asking for advise......

I remember in high school my parents gave me a 1965 Oldsmobile F83 Station Wagon with a 2bbl 330 V-8 with single exhaust when my first car was totaled out by a guy running a red light and T-boning my car. I wanted to do something to the wagon to increase its engine power and all my freind said, "buy different car" ! LOL Ya well I am so glad I did not take the advise to get another car and not only was I able to increase the power considerably but by a quirk of fate my 12 second in the 1/4 mile Station Wagon lead me on my path to what was to become a few decades of modding cars, Racing and even owning several Performance Automotive related business.

For any engine there is many things that can be done. Look at what some to a Briggs and Striation Lawn mower engine. hahahaha! The first thing to consider is what are you trying to achieve, the next is your set limit to how much you intend to spend to achieve it. Be real about this aspect of the money you have to spend because as they say "Speed Costs...How Fast do you want to go?". And likely you will not get the return on your investment if the day comes you decide to sell the car.

Then and only after you start to look at the option for engine power mods!

Jason... don't get discouraged by many forums negativity about a project you would like to do. This forum is really about Mazda enthusiasm, which means dreams some of us might have getting the modding bug for our Mazda.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-28-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Who said I was being negative? The fact is, nine times out of ten, it is better, faster, and cheaper to simply sell a car deemed "too slow" and buy something faster, than it is to invest time and money into the slow car.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:52 PM

It was a blanket description about "forums" not even individuals on forums !
Responses on forums can be interpreted in many ways.. so IMO one comment was negative as it was not answering in anyway what was asked!

Here is what I would think about when you mod a car to increase its engine output with limited companies offering a line of performance parts.

Water Injection will support the engines power as well help it maintain the factory output better and also can be removed and used on the next project vehicle .

A Sniper Nitrous Oxide kit is also not platform specific and can be removed and used for another project . A Sniper kit will yield a solid 50 HP gain with no ther needed changes in anything this includes no ECU calibration

Last edited by Callisto; 04-28-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
It was a blanket description about "forums" not even individuals on forums !
Responses on forums can be interpreted in many ways.. so IMO one comment was negative as it was not answering in anyway what was asked!

Here is what I would think about when you mod a car to increase its engine output with limited companies offering a line of performance parts.

Water Injection will support the engines power as well help it maintain the factory output better and also can be removed and used on the next project vehicle .

A Sniper Nitrous Oxide kit is also not platform specific and can be removed and used for another project . A Sniper kit will yield a solid 50 HP gain with no ther needed changes in anything this includes no ECU calibration

Are you suggesting the 1.6 in a Protege will get a 50 HP boost? Color me skeptical.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Are you suggesting the 1.6 in a Protege will get a 50 HP boost? Color me skeptical.
I see you have never used Nitrous. Yes the Sniper can delver 25, 50 or even 75 HP gain, but I would not recomend the 75 without experience. There is no skeptical about it...this is the nature of Nitrous and the systems are proven for over a few decades now. I build my own Nitorus systems based on exactly the need total power to run in a division or class. For street racing I run as high as I can without blowing the motor all over the ground. The NOS Sniper delivers exactly what the kits comes with as long as you follow their direction to the letter!

What does a 1.6 have to do with anything?
Here is a 3 stage Nitrous system I designed for 1.6 Chrysler engine that makes about 400+ and then the Nitrous +200

The factory base line specification were as follows.
NA= Engine Torque 110 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm Base engine size 1.6 l Horsepower 115 hp @ 6000 rpm
S=Torque 162 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm Base Engine Size 1.6 l Horsepower 163 hp @ 6000 rpm

Old 04-28-2020, 03:44 PM

You really love this don't you? That poor little 1.6 liter Mazda mill will be toast in short order if you give it enough of a shot of Nitrous to develop an additional 50 hp over the modest power the engine is designed to produce.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Look again you obviously have no experience with Nitorus . I have since the late 70's. Please at least go read and learn about Nitorus?
I might also add with most any add on power parts if you abuse them there is no protection form engine damage!

Besides it was only a suggestion as a part to add power and be an investment that can be used for more then one vehicle. I doubt will not be used by the OP

I should have realized that the mere mention of Nitorus Oxide use on a forum gets questioned always by members that have no real experience with it only what they think it does or does not do based on no real practical hands on fun with it!

The thing is the few that actually use it know it is very safe to use and when used correctly will not damage an engine.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:23 PM

You so love to make assumptions; epic fail. I maintain the OP will be much better served by selling the Protege and buying something faster. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Improving horse power.... 1.6 litre 2001 model