Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Default Ignition Issues

Hello,

Ive recently bought a 2001 Mazda Familia with a 2l engine. The problem is that i noticed that when i start the car it will idle really nice n smooth but if i hit the gas and release it in quick manner it will respond the same time but it will not do it smoothly. There will be an area at the start where it will sound as if the engine is stiffled for a split second then revs normal. Sorta like the same effect you will get if water gets down at your plugs after an engine wash. The strange thing is that it only does this when in Park or Neutral. It is not noticable when the vehicle is in Drive.

One day my wife called me and complained that the car seems to have lost power and the entire vehicle is shaking. I called the mechanic and he said i should replace the plug wires as the leads were slipping through the boots. I decided to replace the plugs also. Anyway, i purchased a set of Prestolite plug wires and NGK spark plugs but unfortunately the problem remains. One day the vehicle will run fine and another i will have the whole vibrating-low powered vehicle.

I did some research on how to check if all cylinders are firing as i had a hunch that one or more wasnt operating as it should. The last time the issue presented itself i decided to test the cylinders by disconnecting one coil pack at a time. When i disconnected the coil pack on the passenger side of the engine the vehicle idled exactly the same (rough with vibration) with no change, however, when i reconnected the pass. side coil and disconnected the other coil the engine died and wouldnt start. I even switch around the coils to make sure the problem is not coming from the connector but the results followed the coil that was originally on the pass. side.

Based on my test mentioned above it is obvious that the pass. side coil is defective. Is there a way i can test the coil with a multimeter??? What results should i be looking for??? Are intermitent issues normal on these coils when they are failing?? Why does the coil work one time and not work another time???

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM

You need a test pick. Looks like an ice pick with a clear handle with a lead and led in the handle. Hook the lead to ground, the pick end in the boot, if the coil is firing the light will flash.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Ummmm...its obviius from my previous test that the coil is defective...i would just like to know how to check it with a multimeter....thanks for the suggestion though

Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by DjSlickSVG
Ummmm...its obviius from my previous test that the coil is defective...i would just like to know how to check it with a multimeter....thanks for the suggestion though
If you have a true analog meter the needle will swing some when triggered. I've never seen one go bad except on a Ford, however if it runs sometime, I'd not think it would be a coil pack. Plus the fact you swapped it with another.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Did you read my original post carefully??? To make the story short, the issue presents itself on any cylinder i place the suspected coil so it has to be that that coil is faulty. The other coil will start the car but with vibrations because only 2 cylinders are firing. With just the suspected faulty coil connected alone the vehicle not start at all.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Did you read my original post carefully??? To make the story short, the issue presents itself on any cylinder i place the suspected coil so it has to be that that coil is faulty. .
Then why keep posting, replace it.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Read the last section of my post and see what i am asking....I DID NOT ASK IF THE COIL IS FAULTY!!! I'm just merely asking about ways to test the coil with a multimeter so i can compare it to the good one...YOU are the one who keep going on and on about the coil is not bad which i find is a very poor diagnostics after i explained my actions...anyway, i already purchase 2 new coils so thanks for not helping..

Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Read the last section of my post and see what i am asking....I DID NOT ASK IF THE COIL IS FAULTY!!! I'm just merely asking about ways to test the coil with a multimeter so i can compare it to the good one...YOU are the one who keep going on and on about the coil is not bad which i find is a very poor diagnostics after i explained my actions...anyway, i already purchase 2 new coils so thanks for not helping..
Read post number 4 "If you have a true analog meter the needle will swing some when triggered."
Fix it yourself.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM

You really need a life

Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM

You really need a life
You need a remedial reading course. Fix it yourself.

Quick Reply: Ignition Issues