Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Hi-Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Default Hi-Boost

Anyone here have the Hi-Boost kit for the 2.0 I am thinking of the 2.3 swap ,but if the Hi-boost kit is good I will prob. run with it.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Default RE: Hi-Boost

yeah, the hiboost kit is a good kit. i know a lot of people that are running it and they are very satisfied with it. if you swapped to the 2.3, you would only be gaining something like 20 hp and would be dealing with a lot of head ache. the hiboost for the 2.0 comes complete and is easy to install for someone that is mechanically inclined.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM

hi guys. iv got a 1.8isx 01 model. im my car should be able to outrun the 1.6 right? but im findiing myself just keeping up with it. how does this "boosting kit" work is it just a normal turbo system we talking about? how do i get my hands on it?
or how can i get extra power for my car?

any advise will be very much appreciated thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 PM

originally, the 1.6 was slower than the 1.8 by only a little. it isn't a noticable power difference though. the older a car gets, the more the performance lacks until you are left with two motors that are almost equal in power.

there are two different ways to go with power adders; forced induction and natural aspiration.

natural aspiration basically means that the car breathes on it's own. there is nothing to force air into the motor so the motor has to work to pull air into the intake. n/a applications just add a little hp at a time with small bolt-ons like intake, header, and exhaust. you can also add hp by raising the compression in the cylinder and doing things like cams and tuning. all of these things add just a little hp at a time, so you have to do a lot to get a lot of power.

forced induction, on the other hand, forces air into the combustion chamber which means that the engine compensates for that by adding more fuel into the chamber. the car wastes little energy to operate when at full boost, so it is, what some call, free hp. you can also do modifications like intake, header, and exhaust which add more hp than an n/a i/h/e application would. forced induction sounds good, but you will shorten the life of your motor unless you modify the internals. you could get along for a long time on 6-8 psi of boost, but if you go above that, you will need to modify the internals.

here is a website where you can find the hiboost kit; http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/i...h=281_21_31_52
the 1.8 liter kit will work for the 2.0. i know a few people that use the 2.0 kit on 1.8's. the 1.8 is the same basic motor with the exception of the stroke and i think that the bore may be a little different.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM

go to Hi-boost.com