Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Default head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP

Hi

i suspected our 1999 protege head gasket might be gone due to coolant dissapearing, some fluid coming from exaust(as well as a little smoke), and rough idle.
Wel I did a compression test.Didnt go good penetrating fluid used to take out plugs, or dirty oil ruined the gauge.Then i put it all back together started it up and white smoke hurled from the tail pipe.
So my question is did the comp test(dry and wet test)ruin the head gasket or finished it off where it may have been cracked??? Also my gf was helping me there was no oil squirty can so she put in three tablespoons per cylinder i know it only should be one but could that have done it?and if so is my problem the suspected head gasket or is it possible somthing else is now damaged?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

What can cause white smoke from the exhaust
Contains various views. All that oil in there did not help. What were the before and after compression test results? Is your antifreeze level going down? Does the exhaust smell sweet? If you respond to yes to last 2 questions then your head gasket is definitely gone.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 AM

coolant is going down and has been slowly going down and dissappearing before the smoke happened. White smoke that rolled out was distinct filled up my street with smoke in about 5 seconds, i would say head gasket. however compression test showed normalish readings 1. 165 2. 175 3. 175 4. 180
the wett test was 1.245 2.300 3.300 4.guage broke lol

Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stonej420
coolant is going down and has been slowly going down and dissappearing before the smoke happened. White smoke that rolled out was distinct filled up my street with smoke in about 5 seconds, i would say head gasket. however compression test showed normalish readings 1. 165 2. 175 3. 175 4. 180
the wett test was 1.245 2.300 3.300 4.guage broke lol
Those are extreme wet test results. Lots of pressure to help screw up head gasket even more!

Attached Thumbnails head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP-homersimpsondoh.jpg   head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP-killed.jpg   head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP-car-explosion.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Those are extreme wet test results. Lots of pressure to help screw up head gasket even more!
X2. If you indeed was reading those, it means to me you used water? Those readings are way too high, times two.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Default huh?

Nope no water??? as i said oil(new motor oil), maybe because of the extra oil in there(previous post 3 tbl spoons instead of one per cylinder).but seriously dude i didnt put water in the engine ??

Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Nope no water??? as i said oil(new motor oil), maybe because of the extra oil in there(previous post 3 tbl spoons instead of one per cylinder).but seriously dude i didnt put water in the engine ??
Hell of an engine that can push 300 psi (average)!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Default maybe coolant in there?

if the head gasket was bad and the compression test finished it.could it be possible the could be a small amount of coolant in there that would increase compession? or maybe with all that crud(carbon)in there.The car is pretty dirty and it has 344,000 on it lol

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

after some research i think the high compression results(wet) was definatly from too much oil and then i im thinking that the excess pressure might have blew the already blown but not 2 bad head gasket(or whatever else makes white smoke).oil is blueish though this was like white cloud so im sure it was coolant not the oil burning off???

Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

if the head gasket was bad and the compression test finished it.could it be possible the could be a small amount of coolant in there that would increase compession? or maybe with all that crud(carbon)in there.The car is pretty dirty and it has 344,000 on it lol
That's a lot of miles. Time for some serious tear down or rebuilding, or buying something with less miles.

Better yet: I have a pic for you

Attached Thumbnails head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP-car-explosion.jpg  

Quick Reply: head gasket problem but after compression test???HELP