Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

h

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Default h

Hello all I really need your help.

I have a Mazda Protege 1.8L with 155000 kms.
Here are the symptoms:
1. It takes a couple of times cranking before it will start
2. Idles rough with sputtering out the exhaust. Low rpms
3. Coming to a stop, it will sometimes die with the CEL, battery, and engine oil lights illuminated. Cranking up will get it running again.
4.Pressing on the stop, i notice the dashboard lig hts dimming on and off.
5. Check engine light was solid but has just start ed flashing.
6. Symptoms seem to go away at high speeds, with t he check engine light flashing (im not driving it  unless it is to a mechanic. Its just sitting in my  driveway now)

The mechanic said it might be the MAF so I changed it , but the problem is still there. After reading the forums and doing my own research, i figure it could be a few things. Vacuum leak from intake hose or gasket, EGR, O2 sensors front and back, cat. converter, fuel pump, ignition coil. I highly suspect it is the ignition coil because my dash lights are dimming and exhaust is sputtering. Is there any way to check the ignition coil? Where is it? and How do i replace one if I buy one off the net? A picture pointing to the ignition coils would be perfect. Please help!!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 AM

its not the ignition coil your ignition coil is what sends the power to each spark plug to make it spark if you follow your spark plug wires back to where they plug in thats called the ignition coil but i'm 100% sure thats not the problem, my guess would be a main vaccum line there is one that goes from the back of the block to the intake check that one. if your cel is flashing that means its a mechanical problem so have your car hooked up to the obdll scanner and see what codes its throwing
one of the problems could be the cat i have that problem but your looking at about $400 to replace it