Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Daughters P5 bite the dust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Default Daughters P5 bite the dust?

ok, it is Thanksgiving, so I am working with limited information right now...

The car:
P5
Manual
stock (as far as we know...have not owned it long)
<140k miles

Over the summer check engine light came on, it was some kind of misfire code. Car was not near me for a few months...by the time she got it back home, code was gone.

Last week got a check engine light again. I can not find my bluetooth code puller....ordered one on Amazon, will be here Tuesday. We live 25 miles from town, so When I was in Tulsa (about an hour away...NOT with her car) I decided to buy 4 spark plugs (autolight irridium or something) and 1 new coil (that was what they had in stock) Replaced plugs, replaced the coil on the right side (as I am looking at the car from the front) and she drove it to town and back....seemed all good.

Yesterday she was driving to town, and when she got to town and downshifted...car stalled. She restarted it, ran fine...but whenever she downshifted...it would die.
Car made NO odd noises and the CEL was not on until that happened. After that...it has developed a loud knock. Not noticible at an idle...but when you give it gas only she says.

She managed to get home with the car...Checked oil (because of the noise)....was low...I added 2 quarts brought it to totally full.
Started the car ...and noise is still there when you get RPMs much above an idle...more RPMS...louder it gets.
I gave it about a minute or two...get the oil around in case it was starved (I dont know these little cars much) and made no difference. Turned it off...and asking for help.

Bluetooth code reader will not be here till Tuesday...too far away to take it to a parts store to pull codes before that.
I have thought about moving coil to other side...see if that does anything....or am I better to not touch anything without codes?

I have never had a car with truly catastrophic issues...I dont know if this could sound like a rod or something and engine is toast?
Any thoughts?

Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 PM

It is difficult to diagnose issues like this over the internet, but it sounds like there is a good chance the engine is toast.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, go to car-part.com and buy a new motor and have it installed. If the rest of the car is trash, then junk the P5 and buy something else.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:28 PM

quick video of the car....you can see how it is quiet when idle...and then the knock shows up under a load.