Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Dashboard lights are out

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Angry Dashboard lights are out

recently, i've been installing an amp into my 2003 Protege. i thought i had everything wired up well, but when i turned on my car, the HU wouldn't turn on and my dashboard lights wouldn't turn on with my lights. i checked my fuses inside and outside my car and saw that two fuses were out (both 15A). on the inside, one called "Radio" and on the outside called "Tail". i replaced both and the HU works fine, but my dashboard lights still won't turn on. i've replaced the fuse called "Tail" about 5 times and it blows right when i turn my headlights on. what's wrong with my car?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 AM

you fried the module for the lights. the reason why its blowing is because its drawing more power that is should be, thats why the fuse is blowing. i think the module i know at least in my focus was in the trunk but it could be diffrent try taking the red power wire off your amp that goes to the battery and put a new fuse in and see if it still does it if so then yeah its fried.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Sounds like something is grounding out somewhere. Check for a fuse that says "meter", usually that is for the cluster.

-Sheldon.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM

ok so now my tailights are out. they only turn on when i brake. the dashboard light is still out.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM

if the prob started after installation of amp, recheck your work, check ALL connections and check for pinched wires. Go through your install very carefully ( if you can, get a friend to help, he can be looking at the installation with another set of eyes) good luck

Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM

ok when i unplugged the red power wire from the battery and replaced the fuse called "Tail", the tailights and dash turned on and now they work fine. also, when i touch the remote wire to my amp's remote wire terminal, a red light turns on on my amp for about three seconds and turns off and that happens whenever i do it. is my amp the problem?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM

no just typical light check while gaining power. of all the amps ive owned they all had a light check. to keep your radio fuse from blowing try running the amp control wire straight from the battery with a 15 fuse holder and a switch.the switch is great for cutting out bass until it is wanted.... also keeps amp on time down. and depending on how you mount the switch it will look stylish.
ps. on damn near all vehicles the tail lights running lights and dash lights are tied to the same fuse so if ones out they both are.
add a capacitor to cut strain on the battery and alternator. also decreases the amount of dim at night when you bump. keeps you safe and less likely to attract unwanted attention.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM

keep in mind that the light checks wont always detect problems with the amp. really sucks when you do an inspection and rewire. waste 3 hours because of a bad amp that says everything is fine. when in doubt, replace!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by rhuddles
ok so now my tailights are out. they only turn on when i brake. the dashboard light is still out.
I have the same problem but on a 91 familia i installed a radio and all of the wiring was terrible on the old one i pulled out so i tided up the wiring as best i could but i fried the room and the tail fuse i replaced them and everything started working again but the tail fuse blew again so the tail lights dont work and so dont the dash lights still dont know what's wrong but im working on it and im new to this forum so hi

Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by rhuddles
Originally Posted by Alistair Porter
I have the same problem but on a 91 familia i installed a radio and all of the wiring was terrible on the old one i pulled out so i tided up the wiring as best i could but i fried the room and the tail fuse i replaced them and everything started working again but the tail fuse blew again so the tail lights dont work and so dont the dash lights still dont know what's wrong but im working on it and im new to this forum so hi
The fuse blows straight away same thing so confusing

Quick Reply: Dashboard lights are out