Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

CS, 5k OCI, BPD engine likey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Default CS, 5k OCI, BPD engine likey?

I understand that everybody has their two cents in this area... Hopefully it won't turn into too much of a heated topic

Car currently has 111,000 miles
By the book, here is what the Protege calls for:

5,000 mile OCI (severe service), 10w30, energy conserving (Starburst)

Here is the reasearch and commentary I would like to add thus far:

I would like use this OCI, but am debating over dino vs. synthetic and the longevity of the engine at this point. Specifically I am considering Chevron Supreme or Mobil 1. Every month or so, Chevron is available to me locally for .49 cents a quart w/rebate, a fantastic deal. And we all know that Mobil is about 4-5 bucks a quart... I was considering the more expensive oil but the UOA's on BITOG via Chevron are really good

As far as filters are concerned, I will never let a Fram touch this car (cardboard endcaps and plastic bypass valves are a big turnoff). I think the best deal is Supertech via Walmart... Manufactured by Champion Laboratories, it basically the same construction as a Bosch/Mobil/K&N filter, except the media is a tad less dense from what I understand.

Does anyone have experience/results with the BPD engine running conventional or synthetic via 5,000 mile OCI's?

Input would be great, but I don't wanna hear any hot-headed oil propaganda - I've read too much of that already.