Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

clunking noise from under car when i hit bumps and.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Default clunking noise from under car when i hit bumps and.....

ok so I hear a clunking noise at the driver side when i hit bumps on the road and i feel an intermittent vibrations sometimes the car can be smooth and then sometimes you can feel a small vibration or a large vibration intermittently when driving. I think the clunk and the vibration are linked together. Also i feel a vibration when I brake at speeds above 60 mph only not below 60 mph.

Also i have a video of this but when the car is off, and i move the steering wheel back and forth you can hear the clunk when the wheels are on the ground, but when i jack the car up and do the same test you can't here no clunk. What can this clunk be?

Since owning this car for almost 2 years i have replaced:

Front struts and mounts
Control Arms with ball joints and bushings
Front sway bar links
Tie Rods and outer tie rods
Driver side cv axle
All engine and transmission mounts
All 4 tires
Brake pads and rotors

I have inspected the rack and pinion bushings they look perfect
I have checked for play in the suspension and no play

here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6I...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 PM

The steering shaft from the steering wheel to the steering rack has a u-joint and is telescopic (made to slide into a larger tube so you don't get a steering wheel in your chest in a collision) I would get under the dash and pinpoint it there. It sounds like either the u-joint is worn out , the clamp bolt is loose,or the shaft is worn out.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM

looks like the noise am hearing when i turn the steering wheel when the car is off is a totally different problem to the noise am hearing when i go over clunks. The noise am hearing when i turn the steering wheel with car off sounds like it is coming from the steering shaft but doesn't appear to be anything it could even be normal.

But the noise am hearing and the cause off my slight vibration while driving. Seem to be a very leaky bad strut of the front driver side. A trusted mechanic diagnosed this for me. I would never suspect this since i changed my struts back in march of this year. So i guess i might have gotten a defective strut, the passenger front side still looks good. Gonna get driver side strut replaced with the same brand(Monroe OESpectrum) strut.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 AM

hi guys i looked at both of my front struts carefully it appears to be missing the jounce bumpers on both sides, if these are missing will this cause vibrations and clunking over bumps?

here is a picture of the part am talking about:

Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 AM

pic of jounce bumper .

Attached Thumbnails clunking noise from under car when i hit bumps and.....-jounce_bumper.jpg