Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

CD Player Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Default CD Player Malfunctions

Hello,
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES, 1.8 L, and my CD player is malfunctioning - it's actually CD player/Cassette combo, but only the CD player is malfunctioning. At times, when I put the CD in, or change tracks, the CD will just spin inside of the CD player, and then it will play the track I've chosen, or the 1st track if I put the CD, and at other times, it works just fine, but messes up when I change the track manually. Sometimes, when I put the CD in, the player just spits it out. I've tried a CD drive cleaner, but no luck. Any suggestions? Maybe a quick fix? I'd like to keep the cassette combo, too, if I'd have to replace. Thanks, Sean.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Default RE: CD Player Malfunctions

I've got the same problem with my stock cd/tape combo. I just ordered a new stereo and am trashing the casette. If I'm recalling correctly, theres a theft feature on the combo, that they won't work unless both are connected. I notice that the CD player is very picky about burned CD's and with store bought cd's is somewhat functional. Either way I got to the point where I am sick of it and replacing it will just be better. Maybe you could do the same and since you want the casette too, theyre only about $30. Check out www.crutchfield.com thats where I ordered my new one from, you put your car type in and they show you what iscompatible,they send you everything you'll need, free shipping, free DIN tools to get the stereo out, free wiring harness,complete instructions, and they have a line you can call if you need further help too.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Hey. Well, I put in another CD and it works alright surprisingly, but with some of my other CD's, the player malfunctions. Hmmm...?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Yeah like I said when I had it in it was alwaysVERY picky, one cd it would play decent the next one it'd spit back out the next it'd play the first track and spinetc. Just replaced it yesterday and I no longer feel the urge to put my fist through my headunit . Mazda actually made it real easy to replace just pull it out, wire, and slide the new one in. Also get better sound from the speakers out of it now too.