Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Car engine quit when being driven

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Exclamation Car engine quit when being driven

2001 LX 2.0 liter, automatic, 56K miles. Wife was driving and engine died. Not getting fuel. Replaced the fuel pump. Car started, ran for two minutes, quit and showed code P0335-crankshaft position sensor. Had to replace CPU(pcm) to get code reset. Engine runs with delayed response when the gas pedal is pushed. As the engine warms up the delayed response gets longer until the engine sounds like it wants to backfire when the engine is at operating temo. I have measured water temp sensor-shows correct resistance; engine vacuum is 18 1/2 when cold and 20 1/2 when warmed up. Cleaned EGR valve-coil resistance is correct; checked MAF sensor visually-no dirt or deposits,very clean.
Appreciate any and all suggestions as to cause of problem. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM

History on the replacement ecm?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnh46241
2001 LX 2.0 liter, automatic, 56K miles. Wife was driving and engine died. Not getting fuel. Replaced the fuel pump. Car started, ran for two minutes, quit and showed code P0335-crankshaft position sensor. Had to replace CPU(pcm) to get code reset. Engine runs with delayed response when the gas pedal is pushed. As the engine warms up the delayed response gets longer until the engine sounds like it wants to backfire when the engine is at operating temo. I have measured water temp sensor-shows correct resistance; engine vacuum is 18 1/2 when cold and 20 1/2 when warmed up. Cleaned EGR valve-coil resistance is correct; checked MAF sensor visually-no dirt or deposits,very clean.
Appreciate any and all suggestions as to cause of problem. Thanks.
Why didn't you replace the Crankshaft Sensor?

All computers need a re-boot of sorts. Turn it off and back on by first unhooking the negative terminal of the battery followed immediately with applications to brake pedal and turning lights on and off to make sure all current is gone. Let it sit with negative terminal off for 5 minutes. Re-hook negative terminal, start it, let it idle for 5 minutes before driving gradually (no flooring it for a while).

The above method also clears codes without paying a mechanic! This should have been done while the fuel pump replaced and during stuff like tune ups, sensor replacement, pcv & throttle body cleaning. When doing work on engine disconnect the negative terminal, do the work then re-connect.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Default Car engine quit when being driven

ECM was from a wrecked car. Model was exact model of original.
Crankshaft position sensor was replaced. Still had error code. Removed negative terminal, stepped on brake pedal, waited and then reconnected negative terminal. Would not clear sensor code so that is why I replaced the ECM. I have also removed the negative terminal with the different ECM and get the problem.
Any additional suggestions? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM

I am assumming here. Can you read the voltage DC, and the a/c voltage with frequency when running? I am thinking the resistance with a 2 liter is around 600 ohms on the pickup coil. I also THINK this should be isolated from ground.