Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

ABS & Brake Lights on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Default ABS & Brake Lights on

Protege 2002-both lights came on when brakes were applied.

Now using this method:
Codes can be retrieved using the following method. Under the hood to the rear of the left front strut tower you will see a small 2"x3" gray box that should say diagnosis on it. Open the top and you will see a pattern of two places where a connector might fit. . The connector will look lilke this [ ][ ] [ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][x][ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ] [ ][ ]
Get a small jumper wire and a paper clip and ground the pin that has the 'x' in it. Now turn the ignition key to run and watch the abs warning light.

I got the following error codes:
14 & 48 - now i understand this is the left rear wheel speed sensor clint

Does anyone know what error code 51 stands for?
And is there a way to rest these error codes without going to the mechanic?

thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Default RE: ABS & Brake Lights on

Below is another depiction of the diagnostic connector you noted de_wiz. Could never get the boxes to come out looking right either. Also is a quick little part about reading the flash pattern. You have it right but someone further down the road may not understand how to count the pattern.

You are right in the 14 and 48 pointing to a faulty or disconnected left rear wheel speed sensor.
Flashcode 51 is indicating that the fail-safe relay located within the ABS hydraulic unit/control module is stuck OFF when ignition key is turned ON. First thing to check on that is to make sure that the 60 amp ABS fuse is not blown. If that is ok then will then want to be checking for power of some of the pins directly at the ABS connector.

Here is how to clear the ABS codes by yourself.

1. Connect the TBS terminal at the DLC to body ground using a jumper wire.

2. Turn the ignition key to ON (engine OFF).
3. Output all stored DTCs.
4. After verifying that the first code is repeated, depress the brake pedal 10 times at intervals of less than 1 second.
5. Turn the ignition key to OFF and disconnect the jumper wire.
6. Turn the ignition key to ON and verify the ABS warning light turns off after 3 seconds.

DTCs cannot be cleared if the following conditions occur:

If intervals of depressing the brake pedal exceed 1 second.
The brake switch has failed.
After repairing the ABS wheel-speed sensor or replacing ABS HU/CM, the ABS and/or BRAKE system warning light may not go off when ignition key is turned ON. In this case, start engine and drive the vehicle at a speed of more than 10 km/h {6.2 mph} until the ABS and/or BRAKE system warning light goes off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/EC56E4E197B74766A8452DA3209DD65F.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/2365B3B93FEB422D87BF2AA90B556449.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 AM

thanks for the help. I'll test the fuse, and abs connector out. Hopefully something will show up.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Default mazda protege 5 2003: ABS warning light and brake warni... - 6/27/2007 7:40:45 PM

Copied from Mazda5 Forum

User: pifou

hello

mazda protege 5 year 2003

problem:
ABS warning light and brake warning light on at the same time!
feels like I have no brakes

same problem occured in July 2006 at 51000 Km!
Visit to garage who supposedly fixed problem + claims to have replaced front + back brakes (discs +pads)
and replaced ABS sensor (part MAZ GE7C-43-71YC) at that time.
cost for repairs $1500!

Currently June 27, 2007 at 64000 Km (so about 13000Km following garage visit July 2006) I have the same problems!

This seems VERY unusual.

Is it reasonable to back to same garage now (13000k and 1 year later) and expect them to re-do repairs at no cost?
What exactly is the problem ?
how is best way to solve?
Please give feedback.
Many thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM

That's a lot of $$.

You will find some help in the Mazda Protege forum.

I'd try bleeding the brakes first.
Check wheel speed sensors.
If the speed-o drops out, too, it mat be your ABS module. It's most likely a German made piece of junk. I had a Saab 9-5 that needed a new ABS module. The dealer wanted $3000 for the job. I had it rebuilt for $270.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM

If the fuse checks ok and the code keeps returning after completing the clearing procedure then just locate and disconnect the ABS module connector. You will see that there are a bunch of small diameter wires and four large diameter or gauge wires on one side of the connector. The two wires that are Black with a Blue stripe should have 12 volts to them all of the time. The other two large diameter wires ( Black in color ) are ground wires. If all four check out ok then the problem is internal to the module.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:13 PM

I'll check out everything tomorrow, and hopefully its not an internal abs module problem. The car itself only has 35,000km on it. Do you think its wierd that all this would fail with such low km on the car?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 PM

i have an extra ABS module complete w/ wiring connector if you are interested let me know mowen101@hotmail.com

Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Interesting and pertinent thread (I have and 03.5 MSP).
I have the same issue (random code 14&48, goes away for months or hours).
Brakes work fine at all times (I assume no ABS function when lamps lit)

Where is the ABS module connector located?

Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Default 2006 Mazda 6

Originally Posted by AIMWO4
That's a lot of $$.

You will find some help in the Mazda Protege forum.

I'd try bleeding the brakes first.
Check wheel speed sensors.
If the speed-o drops out, too, it mat be your ABS module. It's most likely a German made piece of junk. I had a Saab 9-5 that needed a new ABS module. The dealer wanted $3000 for the job. I had it rebuilt for $270.
I have an 2006 - 6 3.0 with a similar problem. ABS, AT & BRAKE lights on and spedo not working. Track light come on occasionally. How do I check the abs module and wheel sensors on an 06?
Thanks

Quick Reply: ABS & Brake Lights on