Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

98 protege subframe drop to replace rear engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Default 98 protege subframe drop to replace rear engine mount

Hoping someone still owns/works on these old cars! Still trying to keep my old car running - only 175K original owner - actually it runs fine, but I'm getting tired of the vibration sitting in gear at idle - rear engine mount is shot (and front too - prob all need replacing after 20 years!). I need some guidance on dropping the subframe that the rear engine mount bolts to, since the inconvenient bulge in the firewall prevents access to the nuts that hold the rear mount to the subframe. I have read the one post I can find about this https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...r-mount-15510/ from a decade ago and agree that the only way to do it is to drop the subframe. My problem is I can't figure out where the bolts are - the post says six total, but I can only find two - the big ones right next to where the LCA rear mounts attach - there are three bolts that connect the lca mount to the frame/subframe - do any of these need to be loosened? In photo top left bolt looks like it holds subframe on; other three hold rear LCA mount - looks like far right (with an L stamped next to it) might also hold subframe on, but what about other two? OP says one on top of the LCA and two at the ends on each side - unclear what these refer to. Are there any bolts not seen in photo that I need to find? Do these bolts need to come out completely - I'm worried about not getting it lined back up to reinstall if thats the case - hoping to just drop it enough to get something on the engine mount nuts! There is a hole in the subframe to the left just out of shot inside of which I can just see another nut in the interior of the frame - looks like something is bolted on from the other side - not sure what - is something else bolted to subframe from above? Note - everything looks in good order - no rust anywhere - Colorado is very dry.

LCA subframe bolts

this weird rubber thing is where the Haynes manual says the rear engine mount 98 protege should be - any ideas what it is?
odd rubber thing where haynes manual says rear engine mount connects to cross member