Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

97 protege,1.5L, 5 spd, HELP me out with the mess i just bought!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Default 97 protege,1.5L, 5 spd, HELP me out with the mess i just bought!

hello can you guys help me out with a mess I just bought? I picked up a 1997 mazda protege, its a nice clean little car that has 130K on it, in the glove box there were recipts for several repairs, including timing belt and water replacement and exh. manifold, anyway the car needed a head gasket, the previous owner took this apart and never finnished the project, I bought this car in peices. the guy did a great job all of the bolts and nuts are seperated in ziplock bags and marked, i looked everything over and it all looks good. I took the head to a machine shop and they preasure tested it, surfaced the head and replaced the valve seals. I have new head bolts (even though everyone said they can be re-used i think its a good idea with an aluminum head, it took me 4 auto parts stores to find one that could even get the bolts) the head gasket kit and a new thermostat. the timing belt was done about 10k ago and it looks good, i'm not going to replace it at this time. the problem is that I didnt take this thing apart, so whats the correct procedure for getting it put back together so it will be in time. the lower timing cover has not been removed, will this need to come apart? can I just put this back together by bringing the #1 to TDC and aliging the 2 painted marks on the cam sprokets? there is also single white mark on the timing belt, i'm guessing these we put on by the shop that did the t-belt. but what do the painted marks referance? do they just point up? do they pointe at each other? you follow me? so i dont know whats the 100% correct way to start over, the haynes manual I have is kinda confusing, and it referances you taking it apart. I have done lots of auto repairs and I feal comfortable doing this with some guideance. i'm a chevy guy and this would be my first DOHC motor, I know the basics and have the haynes book so i got the torque spec's and tighting sequence, i just need the nitty gritty on how to get this timed. Thanks in advance.. Shawn